How do I create a ray diagram for refraction using a beaker and pencil?

In summary, a new member of the group is seeking help with an experiment involving filling a beaker halfway with 150 mL of liquid, placing a pencil in the middle, and then moving it sideways to the side of the beaker. They are looking for an example of a ray diagram to better understand how the pencil's refraction can be represented in the diagram. Another member suggests visualizing the process from the perspective of the audience and providing a clearer explanation. The original member thanks them for their input and mentions that they were able to figure it out on their own.
Obama
Hey guys I'm new here and I'm lookin' for some help as I'm sure a lot of you come here for that reason as well. I did an experiment where I fill a 150 mL half full, place a pencil in the middle and move it sideways until it reaches the side of the beaker. Then I am to draw a ray diagram of what I saw. I know the pen refracts but I have no idea how to put that into a ray diagram. Could someone provide an example for me so I can get a better understanding? Sorry if this is in the wrong section, and thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Try visualizing what you are trying to describe to us (put yourself in our perspective), then reply with a less ambiguous description of the process you are attempting to explain. In the bargain you may answer your own question.

Thanks for that little thing you did there. I actually did it myself! But thanks for taking the time to read this and reply! = D

Related to How do I create a ray diagram for refraction using a beaker and pencil?

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium with a different density. This can occur when light travels from air to water, causing the light to change direction.

2. How does refraction affect the path of light?

Refraction can cause the path of light to change direction, making objects appear closer or further away than they actually are. It can also cause objects to appear distorted, such as when looking through a glass of water.

3. What are ray diagrams used for in refraction?

Ray diagrams are used to visually represent the path of light as it passes through different mediums. They can show how light bends and how it is affected by the shape and density of the medium.

4. How do you construct a ray diagram for refraction?

To construct a ray diagram, you will need to know the angle of incidence, the refractive index of the medium, and the angle of refraction. Then, draw a line representing the incident ray and use the refractive index to determine the angle of refraction and draw the refracted ray. The point where the two rays intersect will show the path of the light.

5. What factors affect the amount of refraction that occurs?

The amount of refraction that occurs depends on the difference in density between the two mediums, the angle at which the light enters the medium, and the refractive index of the medium. The greater the difference in density, the larger the angle of refraction will be.