Can someone explain the concept of relative velocity in physics?

In summary, the conversation was about understanding relative velocity in physics, specifically in the context of two trains traveling in opposite directions. The author provided an example and the other person struggled to understand the concept. However, after imagining themselves driving one train, they were able to understand the concept better.
Bashyboy
At the present moment, I am reading a section in my physics textbook concerning relative velocity. In an example the author provides, he states that two trains are traveling in opposite directions at a speed of 80 km/h; and relative two each other they are traveling at a speed of 160 km/h. Somehow, I cannot see why this is true, perhaps I have an underdeveloped physical intuition. Could someone help me with this concept?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine yourself driving one train. As you look out the front window, you watch the other train approach. Doesn't it come towards you twice as fast as an object sitting on the ground next to the track would?

(Substitute "car" for "train" if that brings the situation more within the realm of your experience.)

Yes, it makes perfect sense, now. I feel like a bloody idiot.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity refers to the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving with respect to another object.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another object. This can be done using vector addition or by using the formula Vrel = V1 - V2, where Vrel is the relative velocity, V1 is the velocity of the first object, and V2 is the velocity of the second object.

3. Why is relative velocity important in physics?

Relative velocity is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion and interactions of objects in relation to each other. It is especially useful in situations where the motion of one object affects the motion of another object, such as in collisions or when objects are moving in different directions.

4. How does relative velocity differ from absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity refers to the velocity of an object with respect to an external reference point, such as the ground. Relative velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object with respect to another object. This means that relative velocity takes into account the motion of both objects, while absolute velocity only considers the motion of one object.

5. What factors can affect relative velocity?

The relative velocity of two objects can be affected by their individual velocities, as well as the direction and angle of their motion. Other factors such as the presence of external forces, mass, and friction can also impact relative velocity.