Relativity Books: Advanced Reads for Engineering Student

In summary, the books mentioned above are all good starting points for someone interested in learning about general relativity.
Andrewjh07
Hi all, I am an engineering student that happened to buy a book by Brian Cox called "Why does e=mc^2". Well, after reading it I now have the desire to get my minor in physics. My question for you all is, this book I read was a very beginners guide to relativity, are there any books you would recommend that are slightly more "advanced" than beginner book? Id like to keep reading up on special relativity, as it is a lot more interesting than a lot of stuff I normally study!

Physics news on Phys.org
For SR, I like Taylor and Wheeler, Spacetime Physics. For GR, the following FAQ may help.

FAQ: I want to learn about general relativity. What books should I start with?

The following is a list of books that I would recommend, sorted by the level of presentation. I've omitted many excellent popular-level books that aren't broad introductions to GR, as well as classic books like Wald and MTW that are now many decades out of date. Before diving into any of the GR books that are aimed at physics students, I would suggest preparing yourself by reading a good textbook on SR such as Taylor and Wheeler, "Spacetime Physics."

Books using only algebra, trig, and geometry:

Gardner, "Relativity Simply Explained"

Einstein, "Relativity: The Special and General Theory ," http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/EinRela.html

Geroch, "General Relativity from A to B"

Will, "Was Einstein Right?"

Books assuming a lower-division university background in math and physics:

Taylor and Wheeler, "Exploring Black Holes: Introduction to General Relativity"

Hartle, "Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity"

Rindler, "Relativity: Special, General, and Cosmological"

Books for grad students in physics:

Carroll, "Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity," available for free online in an earlier and less complete form at http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March01/Carroll3/Carroll_contents.html

Also some recommendations on this thread.

What is the importance of reading "Relativity Books: Advanced Reads for Engineering Student"?

The concept of relativity is crucial in the field of engineering as it explains how objects and systems behave in relation to each other. These books provide a deeper understanding of this concept, which is essential for problem-solving and innovation in engineering.

Who are the target audience for "Relativity Books: Advanced Reads for Engineering Student"?

The target audience for these books are engineering students who have a basic understanding of relativity and want to delve deeper into the subject. They are also suitable for professionals in the field who want to expand their knowledge and skills.

What are some of the topics covered in "Relativity Books: Advanced Reads for Engineering Student"?

These books cover a wide range of topics such as special and general relativity, tensor calculus, space-time curvature, gravitational waves, and black holes. They also explore applications of relativity in various fields of engineering, such as aerospace and mechanical engineering.

Are "Relativity Books: Advanced Reads for Engineering Student" suitable for self-study?

Yes, these books are designed for self-study and can be used as supplemental materials for engineering courses. They provide clear explanations and examples, making it easier for readers to grasp complex concepts at their own pace.

How can "Relativity Books: Advanced Reads for Engineering Student" benefit my career as an engineer?

Having a strong understanding of relativity can open up new opportunities for engineers, especially in fields such as aerospace, astrophysics, and advanced technology. These books can also help improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in the engineering industry.