Relativity when you divide a trip into small time intervals

In summary: Planck time, as I understand it, is the smallest possible increment of time in which any "event" can actually occur. Since it is derived from the time it takes moving at the fastest possible speed across the smallest possible distance, this makes perfect sense.Planck length per Planck time = motion at the speed of light. This means that anything that is moving will always be moving at the speed of light.What you're saying makes sense, but it's not what relativity says. If something is moving, it's always moving at the speed of light. However, if something is stationary, it experiences the same amount of time as if it was moving. If something is moving at half the speed of light
1MileCrash
Disclaimer: I am still learning physics. I think about weird things. This results in thoughts like the one that follows.

My understanding of Planck length is that it is the smallest increment of length that can be measured, and to me this implies that an object can only be a whole number of Planck lengths away from another.

Planck time, as I understand it, is the smallest possible increment of time in which any "event" can actually occur. Since it is derived from the time it takes moving at the fastest possible speed across the smallest possible distance, this makes perfect sense.

This also means that 1 Planck length per 1 Planck time = motion at the speed of light.

Does this imply that when any object moves at a speed less than C, it is really spending a fraction of this motion completely stationary?

If I watch a ball moving at 1/2 the speed of light, noting how many Planck lengths it moves per Planck time, the only result that makes sense with the above given is that during half of the Planck time increments, it moves one Planck length, and for the other half of time intervals, it doesn't move at all.

Since I couldn't observe it moving any fraction of a Planck-length, and I couldn't observe anything happen in a fraction of a Planck time, my only conclusion is that in this *thought experiement* is that I would observe it half the time as moving at the speed of light, and half the time not moving at all. In other words, I couldn't observe it moving one-half of a Planck length per Planck time.

Thus, to make my title clear, this means to me, that if something is actually moving, it is moving at C. Any speed witnessed less than C is an average speed based on how much time is spent stationary or spent moving at C - the only two possibilities.

But here's where I get a bit confused.

If an object is traveling at the 50% lightspeed relative to me, and I am Chuck Norris, I should be able to divide the journey into Planck time intervals and see that half the time, it is stationary, and half the time, it is moving at light speed. However, this would also suggest that half the time, it experiences no elapsed time relative to me, and half the time, it experiences the same amount of elapsed time relative to me, suggesting that in total, it experiences half of the elapsed time relative to me. This is of course not the case, as time only elapses 1.154 times quicker at that speed for the traveler relative to me.

So why is it when I divide the trip this way, the relativistic effects don't make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Relativity really isn't meant to "work" with discretization of the underlying space. The problems with doing so are why a theory of quantum gravity elude us so.

Nevertheless, you're correct to say that any object's velocity is [itex]c[/itex] at all times. This exactly gets at the idea of the four-velocity, which is usually denoted [itex]u[/itex]. An object traveling with ordinary (or "three-") velocity [itex]v = \beta c[/itex] in the [itex]e_x[/itex] direction has four-velocity

[tex]u = \gamma c (e_t + \beta e_x)[/tex]

When you take the magnitude of this vector, you always get [itex]c[/itex], regardless of [itex]\beta[/itex] (note that [itex]\gamma = (1-\beta^2)^{-1/2}[/itex], which is why the normalization stays fixed).

1MileCrash said:
My understanding of Planck length is that it is the smallest increment of length that can be measured, and to me this implies that an object can only be a whole number of Planck lengths away from another.

That's not true, so the rest of what you wrote doesn't follow.

1. How does relativity affect the measurement of time during a trip?

According to the theory of relativity, time is relative and can be influenced by factors such as motion and gravity. This means that the measurement of time can be different for different observers, especially if they are traveling at high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

2. Can relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

Yes, relativity can explain the concept of time dilation, which is the difference in the passage of time between two observers in relative motion. This is due to the fact that time is relative and can be affected by the speed at which an observer is moving.

3. How does dividing a trip into small time intervals affect the measurement of time?

Dividing a trip into small time intervals can help us understand how time is relative and can be influenced by factors such as motion and gravity. By breaking down a trip into smaller intervals, we can see how time passes differently for different observers and how it is affected by the speed at which they are traveling.

4. Does relativity have any practical applications in modern technology?

Yes, relativity has several practical applications in modern technology, such as in GPS systems and atomic clocks. These technologies rely on the principles of relativity to accurately measure time and location, taking into account the effects of motion and gravity.

5. How does Einstein's theory of relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Einstein's theory of relativity differs from classical mechanics in that it takes into account the concept of relative motion and the effects of gravity on the measurement of time and space. Classical mechanics, on the other hand, is based on Newton's laws of motion and does not consider the relativity of time and space.