Research Project Ideas - Taylor's Brainstorming

In summary, Taylor is looking for ideas for an upper level research project. Their two ideas so far are designing a mathematical model for the growth of a black hole and using spectroscopy to analyze intergalactic/interstellar clouds. However, they are facing some problems with both ideas, including the applicability of the first idea and obtaining a telescope for the second idea. They are open to other ideas and have asked for specific research ideas related to using spectroscopy. One suggestion is to look into the correlation between line broadening and redshift. Taylor has also been provided with a resource for accessing relevant data.
TmanMrT
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting. Basically, I need to design and carry out an upper level research project for a class I'm taking.

My two ideas so far:

1) Design a realistic, mathematical model for the growth of a non-rotating, non-polarized Schwarzschild black hole...

2) Use spectroscopy to analyze the composition/evolution of intergalactic/interstellar clouds

The Problems:

1) The problem with thing one is that it needs to actually apply to something... and I don't know how this is going to help us observe/find black holes or something useful like that... any ideas? (P.S. Keep in mind that I took Calculus AB (Calculus 1) last year - 10th grade - and am currently taking Calculus BC (Calculus 2) this year - 11th grade.)

2) Two problems: (a) I have no clue how to obtain a telescope that can show me high-resolution spectrums... do you have to pay for this? (b) This project has already been done many times, so I need to find a variation.

Thank you so much for your help. =)

If you have any other ideas unrelated to my brainstorming, feel free to post them too!

-- Taylor

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
TmanMrT said:
Hi everyone,

2) Two problems: (a) I have no clue how to obtain a telescope that can show me high-resolution spectrums... do you have to pay for this? (b) This project has already been done many times, so I need to find a variation.

-- Taylor

You can access the 2 degree field galaxy redshift survey (2dfgrs) data on the web at http://www2.aao.gov.au/2dFGRS/" .

The 2dfgrs contains spectra for around 220 000 galaxies, whilst the SDSS contains spectra for around 700 000 galaxies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much!

So now that I've decided to take option #2 any ideas for specific research ideas?

You might take a stab at the correlation [or lack thereof] between line broadening and redshift.

1. What is a research project idea?

A research project idea is a potential topic or question that can be studied through a scientific investigation. It involves identifying a problem or gap in knowledge, formulating a hypothesis, and designing a study to test the hypothesis and answer the research question.

2. How can I come up with a good research project idea?

There are several ways to generate research project ideas, such as reviewing literature in your field, identifying current gaps in knowledge, and discussing ideas with colleagues or mentors. Brainstorming, like Taylor's Brainstorming, can also be an effective method to generate ideas by allowing you to freely explore different possibilities and connections.

3. Can I use someone else's research project idea?

No, it is not ethical to use someone else's research project idea without their permission. It is important to give credit to the original source and to come up with your own unique contribution to the research.

4. How do I know if my research project idea is feasible?

Feasibility of a research project idea depends on various factors such as the availability of resources, access to participants or data, and the scope and complexity of the study. It is important to carefully consider these factors and consult with a mentor or advisor to determine the feasibility of your idea.

5. Can I change my research project idea once I have started the project?

Yes, it is common for research projects to evolve and change as new information is gathered and analyzed. However, it is important to have a clear and well-defined research question and methodology before starting the project to avoid major changes that may affect the validity of the study.