Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research Project Ideas

1. Aug 17, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting. Basically, I need to design and carry out an upper level research project for a class I'm taking.

My two ideas so far:

1) Design a realistic, mathematical model for the growth of a non-rotating, non-polarized Schwarzchild black hole...

2) Use spectroscopy to analyze the composition/evolution of intergalactic/interstellar clouds

The Problems:

1) The problem with thing one is that it needs to actually apply to something... and I don't know how this is going to help us observe/find black holes or something useful like that... any ideas? (P.S. Keep in mind that I took Calculus AB (Calculus 1) last year - 10th grade - and am currently taking Calculus BC (Calculus 2) this year - 11th grade.)

2) Two problems: (a) I have no clue how to obtain a telescope that can show me high-resolution spectrums... do you have to pay for this? (b) This project has already been done many times, so I need to find a variation.

Thank you so much for your help. =)

If you have any other ideas unrelated to my brainstorming, feel free to post them too!

-- Taylor
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2006 #2
    You can access the 2 degree field galaxy redshift survey (2dfgrs) data on the web at http://www2.aao.gov.au/2dFGRS/ and the sloan digital sky survey (SDSS)at cas.sdss.org/.

The 2dfgrs contains spectra for around 220 000 galaxies, whilst the SDSS contains spectra for around 700 000 galaxies.
  4. Sep 5, 2006 #3
    Thank you so much!

So now that I've decided to take option #2 any ideas for specific research ideas?
  5. Sep 7, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

You might take a stab at the correlation [or lack thereof] between line broadening and redshift.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?