1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research Project Ideas

1. Aug 17, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting. Basically, I need to design and carry out an upper level research project for a class I'm taking.

My two ideas so far:

1) Design a realistic, mathematical model for the growth of a non-rotating, non-polarized Schwarzchild black hole...

2) Use spectroscopy to analyze the composition/evolution of intergalactic/interstellar clouds

The Problems:

1) The problem with thing one is that it needs to actually apply to something... and I don't know how this is going to help us observe/find black holes or something useful like that... any ideas? (P.S. Keep in mind that I took Calculus AB (Calculus 1) last year - 10th grade - and am currently taking Calculus BC (Calculus 2) this year - 11th grade.)

2) Two problems: (a) I have no clue how to obtain a telescope that can show me high-resolution spectrums... do you have to pay for this? (b) This project has already been done many times, so I need to find a variation.

Thank you so much for your help. =)

If you have any other ideas unrelated to my brainstorming, feel free to post them too!

-- Taylor

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2006 #2
    You can access the 2 degree field galaxy redshift survey (2dfgrs) data on the web at http://www2.aao.gov.au/2dFGRS/ and the sloan digital sky survey (SDSS)at cas.sdss.org/.

The 2dfgrs contains spectra for around 220 000 galaxies, whilst the SDSS contains spectra for around 700 000 galaxies.

4. Sep 5, 2006 #3
    Thank you so much!

So now that I've decided to take option #2 any ideas for specific research ideas?

5. Sep 7, 2006 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might take a stab at the correlation [or lack thereof] between line broadening and redshift.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?