Understanding Resistance and Circuits for Homework Assignments

In summary, the overall resistance of the circuit increases when Lamp X blows, causing a decrease in amperage and a change in voltage potential at the 3 way junction. This change in voltage potential affects the remaining two light bulbs, causing a different current through them. This also explains why Ammeter 2 increases and Ammeter 1 decreases. The total resistance of the circuit increases from 150 ohms to 200 ohms after Lamp X blows.
peterpan1492

Homework Statement

My problem is that I don't know how to deal with this kind of questions.

Homework Equations

V=I*R[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the overall resistance would increase since there is a hindrance after the lamp doesn't function anymore, but don't know what to do with the rest...[/B]

Attachments

• Unbenannt.png
    Unbenannt.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track.. yes, total resistance will increase.. Now look at each segment and the change in voltage that will happen from the blown bulb, the change in voltage will of course then affect the amperage through the remaining circuits

That is my problem.. I don't know how it will effect the voltage...

Lets say each lamp is 100 ohm and the supply voltage is 10 v... would you be able to find the voltage potential at the left side of Lamp X? The circuit is basically 1 resistor in series with 2 parallel resistors

So you have 100 ohms in line with 50 ohms (the two parallel resistors together)... If Lamp X blows, you have 100 ohms in line with 100 ohms, right? So resistance increased, thus amperage fell in the system as a whole

I am sorry, but it is hard to follow you... the overall resistance increased... how do I now know what happens with ammeter 1 and 2?

The voltage potential at the 3 way junction (just left of "Lamp X") will change, this will cause a different potential across the two remaining light bulbs and thus a different current through them

ok, and why does Ammeter 2 increase?

Last edited by a moderator:
because part of the current going to the left lamp is no longer bypassing it through Lamp X... Ammeter 1 and Ammeter 2 are actually in series now and will read the same.

and why does ammeter 1 decrease succinctly?

Because the total resistance of the circuit increased.. If each lamp was 100 ohm for example, the total resistance with Lamp X operational would have been 100 + (100+100)/2 = 150 ohms
after it blew, the resistance of the entire circuit is 200 ohms

Likes davenn

1. What is resistance in a circuit and how is it measured?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for electricity to flow through a circuit. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and can be calculated using Ohm's Law: R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current.

2. What factors affect resistance in a circuit?

The factors that affect resistance in a circuit include the type of material used (conductors have low resistance while insulators have high resistance), the length of the circuit (longer circuits have higher resistance), and the cross-sectional area of the circuit (thinner wires have higher resistance).

3. How does the arrangement of resistors in a circuit affect the overall resistance?

Resistors can be arranged in series or parallel in a circuit. In a series circuit, the resistors are connected one after the other, and the total resistance is equal to the sum of all the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the resistors are connected side by side, and the total resistance is calculated using the formula: 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...

4. How do you calculate the total current in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total current is the same at all points and can be calculated using Ohm's Law: I = V/Rtotal. In a parallel circuit, the total current is equal to the sum of all the individual branch currents.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding resistance and circuits?

Understanding resistance and circuits is crucial in many real-life applications, such as designing and building electrical circuits, calculating power and energy consumption, and troubleshooting electrical faults. It is also essential in fields like electronics, engineering, and physics.