Find Max Power From Circuit: 33 Ohm Resistor

In summary, the resistor value that will draw maximum power is the equivalent of the internal voltage source resistance.
maobadi
resistor value ...

Homework Statement

power.JPG

see the attached diagram

Homework Equations

What value of resistor in the place of the 33 ohm resistor would draw maximum power from the rest of the circuit and what power would it draw?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can figure out the currents flowing in different branches of the circuit using maxwell mesh network analysis. But I did not have a clue of how to solve the problem. I know what power dissipation is and how to work it out, but the given question is giving me headaches.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

somebody help...please

Nobody can see your attachment yet, pending administrator approval. You could always host it somewhere else, and then link to it.

Ah, your attachment has been approved!

I don't know if you're still looking for help or not, but I'll guide you a bit:

1) Under what load conditions does maximum power transfer occur?

2) How would you black box the rest of the circuit, making it a block that you could attach this resistor to?

EDIT: For future reference, you may want to host your picture elsewhere and post a link, instead of waiting for moderator approval.

MATLABdude first thanks for the reply,

I know that the maximum power transfer occurs when the load resistance is equal to that of the voltage source internal resistance.

Are you saying that looking from the 33ohm resistor point of view and calculating the total resistance of all the resistor(not including 33ohm resistor) and hence that will be the valueof the resistor that the 33 ohm resistor should be?
Do you mean to calculate the total resistance(obviously ommiting 33 ohm resistor) by replacing the batteries with short circuits. It sounds like thevenin problem or is it?

maobadi said:
MATLABdude first thanks for the reply,

I know that the maximum power transfer occurs when the load resistance is equal to that of the voltage source internal resistance.

Are you saying that looking from the 33ohm resistor point of view and calculating the total resistance of all the resistor(not including 33ohm resistor) and hence that will be the valueof the resistor that the 33 ohm resistor should be?
Do you mean to calculate the total resistance(obviously ommiting 33 ohm resistor) by replacing the batteries with short circuits. It sounds like thevenin problem or is it?

My job here is done!

(But strictly speaking, you should also have an equivalent voltage in a Thevenin equivalent, even though you don't need it for this question).

1. How do I calculate the maximum power from a circuit with a 33 Ohm resistor?

To calculate the maximum power from a circuit with a 33 Ohm resistor, you will need to use the formula P = V^2/R, where P is power, V is voltage, and R is resistance. In this case, the resistance is 33 Ohms, so you will need to know the voltage of the circuit to calculate the maximum power.

2. What is the maximum power that can be obtained from a circuit with a 33 Ohm resistor?

The maximum power that can be obtained from a circuit with a 33 Ohm resistor will depend on the voltage of the circuit. Using the formula P = V^2/R, you can calculate the maximum power by plugging in the voltage and resistance values.

3. Can I use a 33 Ohm resistor to increase the power in my circuit?

A resistor is used to control the flow of current in a circuit, so it cannot be used to directly increase the power. However, by changing the resistance in a circuit, you can affect the amount of power that is dissipated. It is important to note that using a resistor to increase power can also cause the resistor to heat up, so it is important to choose the right resistor for your circuit.

4. How does the resistance of a 33 Ohm resistor affect the maximum power in a circuit?

The resistance of a resistor is directly proportional to the maximum power in a circuit. This means that as the resistance increases, the maximum power will decrease. In the case of a 33 Ohm resistor, using a higher resistance will result in a lower maximum power output.

5. What are some common uses for a 33 Ohm resistor in a circuit?

A 33 Ohm resistor can be used in a variety of circuits, but some common uses include voltage dividers, current limiters, and pull-up or pull-down resistors in digital circuits. Additionally, 33 Ohm resistors can be used in audio circuits to control the volume or tone of a signal.