Rigid Box and 3D Schrodinger equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving an electron confined within a three-dimensional cubic region. The steps to solve the problem include writing the wave equation for the electron, determining the general wave function for possible states of the electron, calculating the energy of the four lowest states, and finding the energies and wavelengths of photons created during transitions between these states. The conversation also includes a discussion on the Schrodinger equation and the Helmholtz equation.
budafeet57

Homework Statement

An electron is confined within a three-dimentional cubic region the size of an atom where L = 200 pm.
a) write a wave equation for the electron
b) wirte a general wave function for the possbile states of the electorn. List any quantum numbers and their possible values.
c) calculate the energy of the four lowest states
d) calculate the energies and wavelength of photons created during transitions between these states

Homework Equations

VcWiK.jpg

and A = (2/L)^(3/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

The note above is from my lecture note. I think they probably work for this question.

a, c)
7nWFc.jpg

b) I am confused here.
d)
Bn5Pe.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think
(a) means the Schrodinger equation ... it will have to be peicewise.
(b) is the wave-function you have written ... if this is long answers you'll have to justify doing ##\psi_{k}(x,y,z)=\psi_l(x)\psi_m(y)\psi_n(z)##
(c) ... look for states k=l+m+n with lowest energy.
(d) ... once you have (c) this is just subtraction

I think your reasoning in the later part is OK - from what I can make out - I'd prefer you to show more thinking for the first parts since it just looks like you are copying from lectures. You should try to show that you have understood the lecture to get full marks, and this usually means you have to write sentences as well as equations.

Hi Simon, thanks for helping me again.

wave equation is the schrodinger equation? and wave function is the solution?

How else do we account for the first two questions.

The (time independent) SE is a special case of the Helmholtz equation which is the time-independent part of a wave equation.
(Therefore, the statistics described by solutions to the SE will behave like waves.)

I suspect the answer for the wave equation should be the time-dependent SE ... I'd start by writing out $$\left ( \nabla^2+V(\vec{r})-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right )\Psi(\vec{r},t)=0$$... then get more explicit for ##V##.

The next question is asking for ##\Psi(\vec{r},t)## ...

See why I think your prof is seeing if you have understood the lectures?

Hi Simon, I'll come back and think more after my coming exam.

1. What is a rigid box in the context of the Schrodinger equation?

A rigid box refers to a hypothetical scenario in which a particle is confined within a three-dimensional space with impenetrable walls. This means that the particle is unable to escape the boundaries of the box and can only move within its defined dimensions.

2. How is the rigid box used in solving the Schrodinger equation?

The rigid box serves as a simplifying assumption in the Schrodinger equation, allowing for the problem to be solved in a more straightforward manner. By confining the particle within a defined space, the boundary conditions for the equation are easier to determine, making it easier to find a solution.

3. What is the significance of the 3D Schrodinger equation?

The 3D Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, used to describe the behavior of particles in three-dimensional space. It is a key tool in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, and has applications in various fields such as chemistry, materials science, and engineering.

4. How does the Schrodinger equation relate to the uncertainty principle?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical expression of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The Schrodinger equation allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a given location, rather than its exact position.

5. Can the Schrodinger equation be used to describe the behavior of macroscopic objects?

No, the Schrodinger equation is only applicable to the behavior of microscopic particles such as atoms and molecules. For macroscopic objects, the principles of classical mechanics are more suitable and accurate. The Schrodinger equation is limited to the quantum realm, where the behavior of particles is governed by different laws than those observed in everyday life.