RLC circuit with variable capacitance problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a series RLC circuit with an applied voltage of 120 V and a frequency of 81 Hz. The circuit contains a variable capacitor, an 820 Ω resistor, and a 3.7 H inductor. The goal is to determine the value of the capacitor such that the voltage across it is out of phase with the applied voltage by 48 degrees, with the maximum voltage leading the capacitor voltage. The equation for total impedance is not relevant, and instead, the phase angle can be determined using the equation tan(phi)=(XL-XC)/R. It is important to note that the phase angle is measured in radians and the maximum voltage mentioned is extraneous information. The correct unit for capacitance is
megansanford
Consider a series RLC circuit. The applied voltage has a maximum value of 120 V and oscillates at a frequency of 81 Hz. The circuit contains a variable capacitor, an 820 [tex]\Omega[/tex] and a 3.7 H inductor. Determine the value of the capacitor such that the voltage across the capacitor is out of phase with the applied voltage by 48 degrees, with Vmax leading Vc. Answer in units of H.
[tex]\omega[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]f; Z = sqrt(R2 + ([tex]\omega[/tex]L - 1/[tex]\omega[/tex]C)2)
So i figured I needed to use that last equation, but I don't know Z or C. What does it mean "out of phase" and what kind of equations use that value?Thank you so much for any help, in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why does the circuit contain two capacitors, a fixed one of 1.5 μF and a variable one of unspecified value? How can the problem be solved if both the value of the inductor and variable capacitor are unknown? Perhaps you could review the problem statement?

Oops, I fixed the problem.

In an RLC circuit the voltage and current waveforms are not necessarily in phase (their peaks and zeros don't happen at the same time). So the voltages expressed by the three components in the circuit will also not have coincident peaks and zeros.

If you were to treat the circuit as a voltage divider and write the expression for the voltage across the capacitor (use complex impedances / phasors to do so), then you can determine the phase angle of that voltage with respect to the supply voltage waveform.

So i figured I needed to use that last equation, but I don't know Z or C. What does it mean "out of phase" and what kind of equations use that value?

The last equation is the equation for total impedance, which is not what you want.

The phase angle is how much the voltage leads the current. If you plot voltage vs. time and current vs. time on the same graph, the phase angle is how many radians it takes for the current to peak after voltage peaks, or for the current to drop to a minimum when voltage drops to a minimum.

Inductors try to increase the phase angle because they oppose changes in current, causing voltage to lead current even more. Inductors decrease the phase angle because current is highest when they have no charge (and hence generate no back voltage), and lowest when they're fully charged. The phase angle is just tan(phi)=(XL-XC)/R, where XL and XC are the reactances of the inductor and capacitor. If all of this is new, I think you should review your textbook; I'm very sure that it talks about phase factors in reasonable detail.

Thank you. My textbook was rather confusing, as was the lecture, which makes sense given that my professor wrote the textbook. I just have trouble grasping the concepts.

Is the maximum voltage just extraneous information given to confuse?

Yes, it is. I also don't understand what "H" is; it's certainly not the SI unit for capacitance, which is F.

So i did the tan(phi) = (XL - XC)/R and still got the incorrect answer:

tan (48) = (omega*L - 1/omega*C)/R

1/[omega(omega*L - tan(48)*R)] = C

C = 2.020711 microFarad

My calculator is in degrees and I changed frequency from Hz to radians. Can you guys see where I might have gone wrong?

ideasrule said:
Yes, it is. I also don't understand what "H" is; it's certainly not the SI unit for capacitance, which is F.

H is supposed to be microfarad. I typed the problem incorrectly. Sorry for the confusion

48 itself is not the phase angle. Take a look at these lecture notes, especially Figure 34.9: http://teacher.pas.rochester.edu/phy122/Lecture_Notes/Chapter34/chapter34.html

Phase angle is considered positive if the resultant (supply) voltage is counterclockwise from the resistor voltage, which is pointing in the same direction as current. In other words, the phase angle is how much supply voltage leads Vr. For your case, the supply voltage leads Vc by 48 degrees, meaning that it lags Vr by 90-48=42 degrees.

1. What is an RLC circuit with variable capacitance problem?

An RLC circuit with variable capacitance problem involves a circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) in which the capacitance varies over time. This can be caused by factors such as changing temperature or varying external conditions.

2. How does variable capacitance affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

Variable capacitance can cause changes in the resonant frequency and damping ratio of an RLC circuit, which can impact its overall behavior. It can also affect the amplitude and phase of the current and voltage in the circuit.

3. What are some common applications of RLC circuits with variable capacitance?

RLC circuits with variable capacitance are commonly used in electronic filters, such as bandpass or notch filters, as well as in oscillators and frequency control circuits. They can also be found in power supplies and radio communication systems.

4. How can I solve a problem involving an RLC circuit with variable capacitance?

To solve a problem involving an RLC circuit with variable capacitance, you will need to use the principles of circuit analysis, such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law, along with the equations for the behavior of capacitors and inductors. You may also need to apply differential equations to model the changing capacitance over time.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to consider when working with RLC circuits with variable capacitance?

Yes, there are a few challenges and limitations to keep in mind when working with RLC circuits with variable capacitance. These can include difficulties in accurately modeling the changing capacitance, as well as potential instability or oscillations in the circuit's behavior. Additionally, the variable capacitance may introduce additional noise or interference in the circuit.