Calculating Rocket Speed and Spring Compression | Physics Homework Problem

In summary, the problem involves a weather rocket generating a thrust of 177.0 N while clamped to a vertical spring with a spring constant of 385.0 N/m. After the engine is ignited, the spring stretches 12.0 cm past its natural length and the rocket's speed is found to be 2.78 m/s. When the rocket is not attached to the spring, the question asks for the rocket's speed after traveling a distance of 0.38 m, which is found to be 2.88 m/s. The equation used is Fthrust x d + 0.5kx^
turtledove

Homework Statement

A 10.2 kg weather rocket generates a thrust of 177.0 N. The rocket, pointing upward, is clamped to the top of a vertical spring. The bottom of the spring, whose spring constant is 385.0 N/m, is anchored to the ground. Initially, before the engine is ignited, the rocket sits at rest on top of the spring. How much is the spring compressed? (ANS: 0.26 m)

a) After the engine is ignited, what is the rocket's speed when the spring has stretched 12.0 cm past its natural length? (ANS: 2.78 m/s)

b) What would be the rockets speed after traveling the distance if it weren't tied down to the spring? (ANS: ?)

Homework Equations

W = Ef - Ei
Ee = 0.5 kx^2
Ek = 0.5 mv^2
Ep = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

PART B ONLY:
[Fthrust x d] = [mgh + 0.5mv^2]f - [0]i
[(177)(0.26 + 0.12)] = [(10.2)(9.8)(0.26 + 0.12)] + [0.5(10.2)v^2]
v = 2.40 m/s <-- this is WRONG

I was able to solve PART A, but I don't know what to do when the rocket is not attached to the spring. I suppose it might be Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, but I don't know what distance to use. In my attempt, I just used the formula I used for PART A, WITHOUT the elastic energy added. Somebody pleaseee help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
turtledove said:

Homework Statement

A 10.2 kg weather rocket generates a thrust of 177.0 N. The rocket, pointing upward, is clamped to the top of a vertical spring. The bottom of the spring, whose spring constant is 385.0 N/m, is anchored to the ground. Initially, before the engine is ignited, the rocket sits at rest on top of the spring. How much is the spring compressed? (ANS: 0.26 m)

a) After the engine is ignited, what is the rocket's speed when the spring has stretched 12.0 cm past its natural length? (ANS: 2.78 m/s)

b) What would be the rockets speed after traveling the distance if it weren't tied down to the spring? (ANS: ?)

Homework Equations

W = Ef - Ei
Ee = 0.5 kx^2
Ek = 0.5 mv^2
Ep = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

PART B ONLY:
[Fthrust x d] = [mgh + 0.5mv^2]f - [0]i
[(177)(0.26 + 0.12)] = [(10.2)(9.8)(0.26 + 0.12)] + [0.5(10.2)v^2]
v = 2.40 m/s <-- this is WRONG

I was able to solve PART A, but I don't know what to do when the rocket is not attached to the spring. I suppose it might be Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, but I don't know what distance to use. In my attempt, I just used the formula I used for PART A, WITHOUT the elastic energy added. Somebody pleaseee help me!
Yes, you leave out the final elastic PE of the spring , but the initial elastic PE of the spring is still there, even though the rocket is not attached to it (the spring is initially compressed whether attached or not). Don't leave that initial elastic energy out.

oh ! ok, i was thinking about that too, but i don't know which distances to use? this would be my attempt:

Fthrust x d + 0.5kx^2 = mgh + 0.5mv^2
(177)(0.38) + 0.5(385)(0.26)^2 = (10.2)(9.8)(0.38) + 0.5(10.2)v^2
v = 2.88 m/s

This answer makes sense, because it is greater than the speed with the spring...however, I am not sure if i should use 0.38 as the distance. if you could clear this up for me that would be great!

turtledove said:
oh ! ok, i was thinking about that too, but i don't know which distances to use? this would be my attempt:

Fthrust x d + 0.5kx^2 = mgh + 0.5mv^2
(177)(0.38) + 0.5(385)(0.26)^2 = (10.2)(9.8)(0.38) + 0.5(10.2)v^2
v = 2.88 m/s

This answer makes sense, because it is greater than the speed with the spring...however, I am not sure if i should use 0.38 as the distance. if you could clear this up for me that would be great!
Your equation is correct as written. The problem asks for the speed after the rocket has traveled a distance of 0.38 m from its starting point. :approve:

awesomee, thanks !

1. What is the Rocket Spring question?

The Rocket Spring question is a physics problem that involves calculating the force required for a rocket to launch off the ground using a spring mechanism.

2. How is the Rocket Spring question solved?

The Rocket Spring question is typically solved by using the principles of Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy. It involves setting up equations and solving for the unknown variables.

3. What factors affect the force needed for a rocket to launch using a spring?

The force needed for a rocket to launch using a spring is affected by factors such as the weight and mass of the rocket, the stiffness of the spring, and the distance the spring is compressed.

4. Why is the Rocket Spring question important?

The Rocket Spring question is important because it helps us understand the principles of motion and energy, which are essential in the field of physics and engineering. It also has practical applications in the design and launch of rockets and other spacecraft.

5. Can the Rocket Spring question be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the principles and calculations used in the Rocket Spring question can be applied to real-life situations, such as designing and launching rockets, as well as other types of vehicles that use spring mechanisms for propulsion.