Romney's VP pic prediction

• News
  • Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prediction
In summary, Paul Ryan's Wikipedia page has been revised 16 times so far today, by someone called "River8009." This indicates that Ryan is a very likely candidate for VP.
Oltz said:
In an attempt to be clear I put IMO at the start and end of the section not realizing it made it look like a contradiction. The " marriage has opposite sexes" was completing the analogy that is well not very good.

As in that section is my opinion about how some people think...Establishing a religion is not a bad idea tho

Actually they kind of already do have one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_Faeries

The religious excuse for not allowing gay marriage is a very flawed one IMO. There is no law against straight atheists from being married. Has every church, cathedral, mosque, synagogue come out and said they would not marry gays? The answer is no. Lots of information here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blessi...hristian_churches#Episcopal_Church_of_the_USA
Then there is this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_on_homosexuality#United_Church_of_Christ
In July 2005, the 25th General Synod [59] encouraged congregations to affirm "equal marriage rights for all", and to consider "wedding policies that do not discriminate based on the gender of the couple." The resolution also encouraged congregations to support legislation permitting civil same-sex marriage rights.

So what you see is DOMA, is not protecting churches, but rather, it is setting rules by which they must follow.

Physics news on Phys.org
In fact, in Alaska, I can have my atheist physics professor marry me and my girlfriend (which is the plan). Anybody can act as the marriage commissioner in Alaska, even nonresidents and non-citizens.

Gokul43201 said:
How about if I show you a speech where Obama says "if we don’t gradually reform the system while protecting current beneficiaries, it won’t be there when future retirees need it. We have to reform Medicare to strengthen it"? Would you consider that as evidence that Obama wasn't completely ignoring the problem?

Here's more specific details from more unnamed sources (with subsequent comment from real people) that you should feel free to consider phony: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...l-goes-over-with-dems-like-a-lead-balloon.php

Of course the President is aware of the problem. He is ignoring his responsibility to actually do *anything* about it.

mheslep said:
Of course the President is aware of the problem. He is ignoring his responsibility to actually do *anything* about it.

Medicare is the 3rd rail and all the politicians know it.

WASHINGTON — GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney's new promise to restore the Medicare cuts made by President Barack Obama's health care overhaul law could backfire if he's elected.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/16/mitt-romney-medicare-cuts_n_1788517.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Pythagorean said:
In fact, in Alaska, I can have my atheist physics professor marry me and my girlfriend (which is the plan). Anybody can act as the marriage commissioner in Alaska, even nonresidents and non-citizens.

http://courts.alaska.gov/comm.htm

Kind of interesting approach. I did notice a couple of things.

"6.If the marriage is not performed on the date stated in the order, a new marriage commissioner appointment order must be obtained." That seems like a bit of a hassle, if the planned date doesn't work out.

"The presiding judge in each judicial district may, if the public interest requires, appoint one or more suitable persons as marriage commissioners." Sounds like it's not automatic. i.e. "if the public interest requires" sure sounds like the judge can opt out if he/she can do it.

In any event, it looks like a great idea for those that don't want a church wedding or a wedding at the courthouse. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I've never seen that practiced. It's been hassle free for all of my friends, so far, to be married by one of our other friends.

I'm going to guess that it is a guy named Paul Ryan.

OK, OK, I cheated.

Paul Ryan seems like too good a candidate to waste as a VP.

I wonder if he beats the Republican VP curse. Of the 11 politicians that have been the Republican Vice President or Vice President nominee from 1960 onward, only two have ever won another election. Any other election, period!

In contrast, of the 11 politicians that have been a Democratic Vice President or Vice President nominee from 1960 onward, only three have never won at least some other election. Even Eagleton, a two week VP candidate, went on to a successful political career. Then again, the shocking end to Ferraro's and Edward's political careers would make one think they were the ones with the curse!

1960 Republican VP nominee: Henry Cabot Lodge. Actually, he just never cared to run for another political office. No real curse there.

1964: Miller (I don't remember his first name). Immediately faded into obscurity.

1968, 1972: Spiro Agnew. A man of convictions, he never ran for office again. Unfortunately his convictions were criminal; not ideological.

1973: Gerald Ford. At least he won a nomination primary, but never won another election.

1974: Nelson Rockefeller. Didn't even get to run for VP again. Later tried unsuccessfully for a Presidential nomination, but never won any election again.

1976: Bob Dole. He not only beat the curse, but later was the Republican Presidential nominee - 20 years later!

1980, 1984: George HW Bush. Definitely beat the curse. The curse is dead!

1988,1992: Dan Quayle. The curse is back? Or just a really weak VP choice?

1996: Jack Kemp. The curse is definitely back. Kemp should have been a future GOP nominee.

2000, 2004: Dick Cheney. Given his health problems, he wouldn't have run for future office curse or no curse.

2008: Sarah Palin. :rofl: The curse is replaced by comedy?

Last edited:
William Miller. He eventually appeared in a "Do you know me?" commercial for American Express. And Agnew wasn't convicted - he pled no contest. The media explained this unusual plea as "I didn't do it and promise not to do it again."

<<The media explained this unusual plea as "I didn't do it and promise not to do it again.">>

The media then got it wrong. A "no contest" plea is the exact same thing legally as a "guilty" plea in the criminal system--no sugar coating. It differs from a guilty plea only in that it cannot be used against you in a civil trial. The advantage for politicians is that it sounds better than "guilty".

P.S. Miller's daughter is Stephanie Miller, a liberal radio show host.

ApplePion said:
P.S. Miller's daughter is Stephanie Miller, a liberal radio show host.

And Ronald Reagan's son is Ron Reagan, also a liberal radio show host. Let's keep on topic, please.

Last edited:
<<And Ronald Reagan's son is Ron Reagan, also a liberal radio show host. Let's keep on topic, please.>>

Apparently the topic here must be "Are the other posters here on (what I imagine to be) the topic?".

Could you please explain to me why Miller being on an American Express commercial was on topic but his daughter being a liberal talk show host--something far more interesting since he was Goldwater's running mate--is not. Is the topic "What ads vice-presidential candidates were in, but not anything about their daughters"?

ApplePion said:
<<And Ronald Reagan's son is Ron Reagan, also a liberal radio show host. Let's keep on topic, please.>>

Apparently the topic here must be "Are the other posters here on (what I imagine to be) the topic?".

Could you please explain to me why Miller being on an American Express commercial was on topic but his daughter being a liberal talk show host--something far more interesting since he was Goldwater's running mate--is not. Is the topic "What ads vice-presidential candidates were in, but not anything about their daughters"?

Point taken :biggrin:.

This thread has run its course.