Rotational Dynamics of a solid sphere

In summary, the problem involves a solid sphere rolling without slipping down a track and landing on the floor. By using the equations for gravitational potential energy and kinematics, we can calculate the velocity and time of the sphere. However, the mistake was made of not considering the translational kinetic energy of the sphere, resulting in an incorrect answer. Taking into account both the rotational and translational kinetic energy, the horizontal distance can be correctly calculated.
FaiKT

Homework Statement

A solid sphere starts from rest at the upper end of the track, as shown in figure below, and rolls without slipping until it rolls off the right-hand end. If H = 12.0 m and h = 2.0 m and the track is horizontal at the right-hand end, how far horizontally from point A does the sphere land on the floor?

Homework Equations

mgH = 1/2 I w^2 + mgh
y = vot + 1/2gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure how i went wrong here.
the moment of inertia for a solid sphere is 2/5 mr^2 and w^2 = v^2/r^2 so the radius cancels out...after cancelling out the mass as well i come out with
gH = 1/5 v^2 + gh which becomes sqrt(5(gH-gh)) = 22.136 m/s
Since it starts at rest... you use the equation 2 = -4.9t^2 to get a time of 0.639s

Since its asking for horizontal distance i multiplied the velocity by time to get 14.145m, but that's wrong somehow...is there something I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget translational kinetic energy.

i thought there is no translational kinetic energy since the sphere isn't slipping

FaiKT said:
i thought there is no translational kinetic energy since the sphere isn't slipping
No, the sphere's center of mass is definitely moving as it rolls without slipping, so it has both translational and rotational kinetic energy. If it was just spinning in place without moving, then it would only have rotational KE. But here it's rolling along just fine. (Hint: Since it's rolling without slipping, the translational and rotational speeds are related.)

ah right..i just got mixed up on a concept, that makes perfect sense now, thanks a lot

Related to Rotational Dynamics of a solid sphere

1. What is rotational dynamics of a solid sphere?

Rotational dynamics of a solid sphere is the study of the motion and forces acting on a solid object as it rotates around a fixed axis. It involves principles of angular momentum, torque, and rotational inertia.

2. What is the difference between rotational and linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around an axis, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object's position and orientation change, while in linear motion, only the object's position changes.

3. What is the moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the rotational dynamics of a solid sphere?

The distribution of mass affects the rotational dynamics of a solid sphere because it determines the object's moment of inertia. Objects with more mass concentrated at the axis of rotation have a smaller moment of inertia and are easier to rotate, while objects with more mass spread out have a larger moment of inertia and are more difficult to rotate.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational dynamics of a solid sphere?

Rotational dynamics of a solid sphere has many real-world applications, including the study of planetary motion, the design of gyroscopes, and the analysis of sports equipment such as baseballs or tennis rackets. It is also used in engineering fields such as robotics and aerospace to understand the movement and stability of rotating parts.