Satellite following circular orbit.

In summary, a satellite with a mass of 5.00 x 10^2kg is moved from a circular orbit with a radius of 2r_e around Earth to a circular orbit with a radius of 3r_e. The gravitational potential energy from the first orbit to the second orbit can be calculated using the equation E_p = -1(G*m_1*m_2)/r. The change in gravitational potential energy can be determined by subtracting the potential energy of the second orbit from the potential energy of the first orbit. The work done in moving the satellite between the orbits can be found by applying energy conservation. To maintain its new orbit, the satellite would need a speed calculated using the equation v = sqrt((G*m_plan
dator

Homework Statement

A satellite with a mass of 5.00 x 10^2kg is in a circular orbit, whose radius is 2r_e, around earth. Then it is moved to a circular orbit with a radius of 3r_e.

a) Determine the satellite's gravitational potential energy from the first orbit to the second orbit.
b) Determine the change in gravitational potential energy from the first orbit to the second orbit.
c) Determine the work done in moving the satellite from the first orbit to the second orbit. Apply energy conservation.
d) Calculate the speed it would need in order to maintain its new orbit.
e) Calculate the escape velocity for the satellite if it is on the Earth's surface.

Homework Equations

E_p = -1(G*m_1*m_2)/r
(delta)E_p = -((G*m_1*m_2)/r) - (-((G*m_1*m_2)/r))
v = sqrt((G*m_planet)/r)
v_escape = sqrt((2*G*m_planet)/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out all the questions but I am wondering about the wording and if I should have considered a few things.

Questions a+b:
For the radius it lists 2r_e that is basically 2*(Radius of earth) correct?
And when calculating the potential gravitational energy, E_p will the radius be (2r_e+Radius of earth)? The question says "whose radius is 2r_e, around Earth" implying that you would add the radius of Earth on top of the multiplication.

So E_p_i = -(G*m_earth*m_satellite)/(2*r_e+r_e)

Question c:
Isn't this just the result of question b?

d+e:
no problems here just plug into the eqn and solve.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Radius means distance from the center. Altitude means height above the surface.

D H said:
Radius means distance from the center. Altitude means height above the surface.

Thank you!

an orbital radius is typically measured from the center of the object that it is orbiting. if the orbital radius is 2r_e then use 2*(radius of earth) not 3*. I understand your interpretation, but I think it's incorrect.

question c: looks like it to me. your teacher probably wants some statement or equation as proof though.

dator said:
Question c:
Isn't this just the result of question b?
No. Question (b) is about gravitational potential energy only. There is also kinetic energy to consider.

1. What is a circular orbit?

A circular orbit is a type of orbit in which an object, such as a satellite, moves around a central body in a perfect circle. The distance between the object and the central body remains constant at all times.

2. How does a satellite maintain a circular orbit?

A satellite maintains a circular orbit by balancing its forward momentum, which is provided by its initial launch velocity, with the gravitational pull of the central body. This results in a constant circular motion around the central body.

3. What factors affect the altitude of a satellite in a circular orbit?

The altitude of a satellite in a circular orbit is affected by the strength of the gravitational pull of the central body, the mass of the satellite, and the speed at which it is moving. A higher altitude results in a larger orbit, while a lower altitude results in a smaller orbit.

4. Can a satellite in a circular orbit change its altitude?

Yes, a satellite in a circular orbit can change its altitude by adjusting its speed or by using thrusters to alter its trajectory. However, it requires a significant amount of energy to change the altitude of a satellite in orbit.

5. What are some practical applications of satellites in circular orbits?

Satellites in circular orbits have a wide range of practical applications, such as telecommunications, weather monitoring, navigation, and remote sensing. They are also used for scientific research, surveillance, and military operations.