Scattering from a hard ellipsoid

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the constants a, b, and s, and the variables θ and ψ in a scattering experiment. The homework equations for this experiment involve the differential scattering cross-section and the integral of the cross-section. The speaker attempted to find a relation between the impact parameter s and the scattering angle θ, but was unsuccessful. They suggest using the equation for the tangent to an ellipse to find the impact parameter.
Present

Homework Statement

333.JPG

a,b is constant and s is impact parameter, θ is scattering angle.
i know that ψ in the picture is <ψ=(π-θ)/2>

Homework Equations

differential scattering crossection dσ/dΩ = (s/sinΘ) I ds/dθ I

and σ(θ)=∫(dσ/dΩ)dΩ

The Attempt at a Solution

i guessed, first step is that finding a relation of impact parameter s and scattering angle θ.
but i couldn't. This picture is my attempt at a solution.

20141109_010000.jpg

i think for getting a relation of <s and θ> to use tan(θ/2) but i do not find.
How can i get impact parameter s(θ)?

Physics news on Phys.org
calculate, or look up, the equation for the tangent to an ellipse.

1. What is scattering from a hard ellipsoid?

Scattering from a hard ellipsoid refers to the phenomenon of light or other electromagnetic radiation being deflected or redirected when it encounters an ellipsoid-shaped object with a hard surface.

2. How is scattering from a hard ellipsoid different from scattering from other shapes?

The shape of an object can greatly affect how light is scattered off of it. A hard ellipsoid, which has a smooth and unbroken surface, will have different scattering properties compared to other shapes, such as a sphere or a cube.

3. What factors influence the scattering of light from a hard ellipsoid?

The size, shape, and orientation of the hard ellipsoid are all important factors that can influence the scattering of light. Additionally, the wavelength of the incident light and the refractive index of the material the ellipsoid is made of can also play a role in scattering behavior.

4. How is scattering from a hard ellipsoid studied?

Scientists use various techniques such as theoretical modeling, computer simulations, and experimental measurements to study scattering from a hard ellipsoid. These methods allow for the prediction and observation of how light behaves when interacting with an ellipsoid-shaped object.

5. What are some applications of studying scattering from a hard ellipsoid?

Understanding the scattering behavior of hard ellipsoids can have practical applications in fields such as remote sensing, material characterization, and biomedical imaging. It can also provide insights into the properties of various materials and help in the development of new technologies.