Sequences, Series, Convergence and Divergence

In summary, a sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule, while a series is the sum of all the terms in a sequence. Convergence is the property of a sequence or series approaching a definite value or limit, while divergence is the property of a sequence or series not approaching a definite value or limit. To determine if a sequence or series converges or diverges, various tests such as the limit comparison test, the ratio test, and the root test can be used to compare it to known convergent or divergent sequences or series.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Q1 Are the following sequences divergent or convergent as n tends to infinity.

a: [itex]\frac{5n+2}{n-1}[/itex]

b: [itex]tan^{-1}(n)[/itex]

c:[itex]\frac{2^n}{n!}[/itex]

Q2 Evaluate:...

a: [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 3^{\frac{n}{2}} [/itex]

b: [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{99} (-1)^n [/itex]

Q3 Find whether the following converge or diverge

a:[itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n-1}{n}[/itex]

b:[itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}|

The Attempt at a Solution

Most of these I have no clue on how to format it mathmatically correct but I have given it my best shot, Id be surprised if I have any correct mind you.

Q1a
[tex]
\frac{5n+2}{n-1}=12,\frac{17}{2},\frac{22}{3},\frac{27}{4}...\\
[/tex]
So it looks as tho it converges to 0 as n tends to infinity.

Q1b
[tex]
tan^{-1}(n) = \frac{\pi}{4},1.107,1.25...
[/tex]
From messing on the calculator I can see that it tends to pi/2 as n tends to infinity but don't know how to show it mathmatically.

Q1c
[tex]
\frac{2^n}{n!}=2,2,1.33,0.66,0.266
[/tex]
Again looks like it converges to 0 as n tends to infinity.

Q2a
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 3^{\frac{n}{2}}=1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}+\frac{1}{3}+0.192+\frac{1}{9}
[/tex]
This looks as though the limit is 2, as n tends to infinity

Q2b
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{99} (-1)^n=1-1+1-1+1-1
[/tex]
I noted that when n is even it is +1 and when it is odd it is -1 and since 99 is odd, then the limit is 0 as n tends to 99.

Q3a
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n-1}{n}=\frac{\frac{n}{n}-\frac{1}{n}}{\frac{n}{n}}=1-\frac{1}{n} \\
=1-1+1-\frac{1}{2}+1-\frac{1}{3}+1-\frac{1}{4}...[/tex]
here it seems it diverges to infinity as n tends to infinity (due to the +1's)

Q3b
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{\frac{3}{2}}}=1+0.353+0.192+...
[/tex]
Here is looks like it converges to the limit of 2 as n tends to infinity.Sorry for the mass of questions, I am not sure about any of them so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hey! sorry, i didn't look through all the equations, but i'll offer some help on [itex]1c)[/itex] [tex]\frac{2^n}{n!}=\frac{2}{n}\cdot\frac{2}{(n-1)}\cdot\frac{2}{(n-2)}\cdot \cdot \cdot \cdot \frac{2}{3}\cdot\frac{2}{2}\cdot\frac{2}{1}[/tex]. now what can we do (compare)...i'll let you think on this.

FaraDazed,
Please limit the number of problems you post in a thread to one or, at most, two.

I have closed this thread. Feel free to start new threads with a problem or two in each.

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term, and it is identified by its position or index in the sequence.

2. What is a series?

A series is the sum of all the terms in a sequence. It is represented by adding a sigma notation (∑) in front of the sequence. The value of a series depends on the terms in the sequence and the number of terms being added.

3. What is convergence?

Convergence is the property of a sequence or series in which the terms or the sum of the terms approach a definite value or limit as the number of terms increases. A sequence or series that converges is said to be convergent.

4. What is divergence?

Divergence is the property of a sequence or series in which the terms or the sum of the terms does not approach a definite value or limit as the number of terms increases. A sequence or series that diverges is said to be divergent.

5. How do you determine if a sequence or series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence or series, such as the limit comparison test, the ratio test, and the root test. These tests compare the given sequence or series to a known convergent or divergent sequence or series to determine its behavior.