Solving a Series Circuit with Ohm's Law

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the resistance of a resistor in a circuit with a 60W lamp and a 120V source, where the voltage across the lamp is 25V. The formula used is R=V^2/P and the final calculated resistance is 10.4 ohms. The conversation also discusses the importance of using the same current for both the lamp and resistor, with a hint to use the formula P=IV to find the current and then use R=V/I to calculate the resistance. The final result is confirmed to be correct at 151 ohms.
starhallie

Homework Statement

A 60W lamp is placed in series with a resistor and a 120V source. If the voltage across the lamp is 25V, what is the resitance R of the resistor?

Homework Equations

I derived R= V2/P from ohm's law to solve this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

R= V2/P
=(25V)2/60W
=10.4 ohms

Is this answer correct? Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the resistance of the lamp.
Remember the current in the lamp an the resistor is the same, what's the voltage rop across the resistor?

120v - 25v = 95v?

I guess I just don't understand what voltage to use and why. :frown:

You have 120V total, 25V across the lamp and so (120-25) across the resistor
To work out the resistance you need the current through the resistor
This is the same as the current through the lamp

hint: Power = current * voltage difference

I=P/V
=60W/(120V-25V)
=0.63 A

R=V/I
=95V/0.63A
=151 ohms?

sounds good

Thank you so much for your help! :approve:

Related to Solving a Series Circuit with Ohm's Law

1. How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. This can be calculated using the formula R = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where R is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances.

2. What is Ohm's Law and how is it used to solve a series circuit?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. In a series circuit, this means that the total current is equal to the total voltage divided by the total resistance (I = V/R). This equation can be rearranged to solve for any of the variables, depending on what information is given.

3. How do you calculate the voltage drop across each resistor in a series circuit?

The voltage drop across each resistor in a series circuit is proportional to its resistance. This means that the voltage drop across a resistor is equal to its resistance multiplied by the total current in the circuit (VR = R x I). To find the voltage drop across each resistor, you can use this equation for each individual resistor.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all components are connected along a single loop and the current is the same at any point in the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected along multiple branches and the current is divided among the branches. Additionally, in a series circuit the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

5. How does the total resistance change if a resistor is added or removed from a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance increases when a resistor is added and decreases when a resistor is removed. This is because the total resistance is a sum of all individual resistances. When a resistor is added, the total resistance increases because there is now an additional resistance in the circuit. When a resistor is removed, the total resistance decreases because there is one less resistance in the circuit.