Setting up a server for scientific computing

In summary, desktop is good for general computing use, while server is better for more specialized tasks like scientific computing.
philm0
Hello everyone,

I have a cluster computing that I am going to be setting up for scientific computing. I have never done this before and I was wondering, on a server what kind of operating system would be approiate to place on the cluster? As in, would a desktop or server operating system be better for scientific computing?

I know that I am going to be placing ubuntu 14.04 but I am unsure if it should be the desktop or server version.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It is definitely going to be C++ programming using MPI

Great, thank you I will be looking through this.

But for scientific computing, due the benefits of the sever edition outweigh that of the desktop?

Not really. The repositories are the same and server just makes all the desktop packages optional. Just adding the missing packages will turn server into desktop.

Go with server because it's more lean, a few more resources will be available for your applications.

philm0 said:
I know that I am going to be placing ubuntu 14.04 but I am unsure if it should be the desktop or server version.

Hey
You can try to use a Scientific Linux distribution. It already has much of specific tools installed and preconfigured.
You also can install any distribution you like (Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS) and install all the software you need manually.

Desktop or server version is entirely up to you but if you didn't fee yourself comfortable with console then you probably will need a desktop version.

Related to Setting up a server for scientific computing

1. How do I choose the appropriate server for scientific computing?

When selecting a server for scientific computing, consider the number of users, the types of software and data used, and the amount of processing power needed. It's important to also factor in budget and scalability for future needs.

2. What operating system should I use for my scientific computing server?

The best operating system for scientific computing will depend on the specific needs of your research. Linux is a popular choice due to its stability, flexibility, and open-source nature. However, Windows and Mac OS can also be suitable for certain applications.

3. How much RAM and storage do I need for a scientific computing server?

The amount of RAM and storage needed will vary depending on the size and complexity of your data and the software used. As a general guideline, aim for a minimum of 16GB of RAM and 1TB of storage. It's also important to consider future growth and scalability when determining these specifications.

4. What security measures should I take when setting up a server for scientific computing?

To secure your server, it's important to use strong passwords, regularly update software and operating systems, and implement firewalls and other security measures. It's also recommended to restrict access to the server only to authorized users and regularly back up important data.

5. How can I optimize my server for scientific computing?

To optimize your server, consider using virtualization to efficiently utilize resources and improve performance. It's also important to regularly monitor and tune your server to ensure it is running at its optimal capacity. Additionally, consider using parallel processing techniques to speed up computations and improve overall efficiency.