Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Setting up a server for scientific computing

1. Dec 21, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have a cluster computing that I am going to be setting up for scientific computing. I have never done this before and I was wondering, on a server what kind of operating system would be approiate to place on the cluster? As in, would a desktop or server operating system be better for scientific computing?

I know that I am going to be placing ubuntu 14.04 but I am unsure if it should be the desktop or server version.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 21, 2015 #3
    It is definitely going to be C++ programming using MPI

5. Dec 21, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

6. Dec 21, 2015 #5
    Great, thank you I will be looking through this.

But for scientific computing, due the benefits of the sever edition outweigh that of the desktop?

7. Dec 21, 2015 #6
    Not really. The repositories are the same and server just makes all the desktop packages optional. Just adding the missing packages will turn server into desktop.

Go with server because it's more lean, a few more resources will be available for your applications.

8. Jun 18, 2016 #7
    Hey
    You can try to use a Scientific Linux distribution. It already has much of specific tools installed and preconfigured.
    You also can install any distribution you like (Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS) and install all the software you need manually.

Desktop or server version is entirely up to you but if you didn't fee yourself comfortable with console then you probably will need a desktop version.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted