Setting Up Integrals: Step-by-Step Examples

• Thread starter Barley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, these websites do not provide step by step examples of setting up area and volume integrals.
Barley
Can anyone reccomend a website, or text, where there are step by step examples of setting up area and volume integrals where your looking for forces. I need to be able to do set ups for situations similar to the following :find the gravitational field vector on surface point of a cylinder or find or gravational force on a point mass from a disk.

Really get confused with this-- especially when it comes to putting the pieces in terms of each other?
Seems my calc. book just has me evalulate integrals and there's a big leap from my freshman/softmore physics text, where I hardly did any calc., to my junior level text.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Peliminary inspection of these sites shows a lot about techniques for solving integrals but not a lot on setting one up for the situations I tried to describe. Maybe what I'm looking for is a good mechanics text. The one I have has examples in it that I can't follow, not because my integration is rusty, but because my text starts with a simple enough relation and the next line is the result of a triple integration.

Example of Hw problem:

Calculate the gravitational field vector due to a homogeneous cylinder at exterior points on the axis of the cylinder.
Only because the problem states that the result is to be found by computing the force directly; start with g = F/m

g = -GMrhat/ r^2

I can get that symmetry gives us that there is only force in z direction, and choosing a reference point on the z axis and pick an arbitrary point on the surface of mass dm- where dm = rhodV . The point dm connects to the (0, 0, z) reference point with a radial line and makes an angle with the z axis that we can put into the integral as the magnitude of dgz, so what goes into the integral is cos(angle)--where cos(angle) =(zo-z)^2/((sqrt r^2 + (zo -z)^2)).

Now, there's rhodV = dm = rhodr rdangle dz

Somehow, I have in my notes the final integral, skipping the 3 limits of integration resloves itself into, bringing rho outside, rho///drdangledz(zo -z)/(((zo -z)^2 + r^2))^3/2)). Even if there's an error in my notes, I'm stuck on the set up.

I can't figure out why the top term is no longer squared. Looking back at the origional formula; gz = -Grho(integral)cosangle/r^2.
I've drawn a triangle on my picture connecting the z axis across to the surface point, to the radial line, and back to the point zo. Now, I'm confused-- I've labled the radius of the cylinder R and the radial vector from reference point to zo is labled little r. To evaluate the integrand I need to get r in terms of R ? Just stuck!

See, what I need are some examples with some intermediate steps in setting up these types of problems.

Thanks

Solved it

ok it was simple and I apologize to anyone who tried to read my post. The (zo -z)^2 term never belonged there- Just lack of sleep r in terms of R easy.
No biggie-- hard part, I know is evaluating the result of the set up but looks like integration by parts--
Still, need practice, and worked out examples would be of a lot of help.

Reccomendations, advice, appreciated. :biggrin:

1. What is the purpose of setting up integrals in scientific research?

The purpose of setting up integrals is to calculate the area under a curve or the volume of a three-dimensional shape. This is useful in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for a given integral?

The limits of integration are determined by the boundaries of the region being integrated over. These can be determined by looking at the graph of the function or by setting up equations that represent the boundaries.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value as the result, while an indefinite integral has no limits and gives a general function as the result. Definite integrals are used to find precise values, while indefinite integrals are used to find antiderivatives.

4. What is the role of the variable of integration in setting up an integral?

The variable of integration represents the independent variable in the function being integrated. It is used to determine the limits of integration and is crucial in correctly setting up the integral.

5. How do you check the accuracy of a set up integral?

To check the accuracy of a set up integral, you can take the derivative of the result and see if it matches the original function. You can also use mathematical software or online calculators to verify the result.