SHM in atoms question I think my textbook is wrong :0 yet again.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total energy of oscillations of an atom in a simple atomic model of a solid. The given values are a frequency of 2E-11 Hz, an amplitude of 5.5E-10 m, and a mass of 4.8E-26. Two equations are mentioned, one being total energy = 0.5(mass)(angular frequency)^2 x max displacement, and the other being E=0.5kx^2 after finding the spring constant of the atoms from the equation T= 2pi root(m/k). The answer obtained using the first equation is 2.1E-11 J, while the answer mentioned in the conversation is
The CdePster

Homework Statement

In a simple atomic model of a solid, the atoms vibrate with a frequency of 2E-11 Hz. The amplitude of the vibration of the atoms is 5.5E-10 m and the mass of each atom is 4.8E-26. Calculate the total energy of the oscillations of an atom.

Homework Equations

total energy= 0.5(mass)(angular frequency)^2 x max displacement
not forgetting angular frequency= 2pi/the period
Other information is easy and if you don't know how to get the period from the frequency then, well sadly you shouldn't be helping me lol :)!

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it, its very easy you just plug in the numbers really however the answer given is 1.2E-20. I don't get this, I used the equation I gave you and also the easier equations like E=0.5kx^2 after finding the spring constant of the atoms from the equation T= 2pi root(m/k)
and I get the same answer either way which is 2.1E-11 J.
I don't believe I am wrong but please enlighten me if I am. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
0.5kx2 gives the potential energy, 0.5kA2 gives the total energy. What value did you use for 'x'?

thanks for the reply, i used the amplitude of oscillation 5.5E-10 for 'x' or rather 'x0' As it would be in this case. Because x0 is the same as amplitude yes? Even if I had used the wrong value for x which i don't think I have surely I can't be one billion out as the answer would suggest?

Just to show you what I did so you know 100% that my method is OK. Using the first equation which I mentioned in the first post.
Total energy = 0.5*4.8E-26*(1.26E12)2*5.5E-10

And the way I got the angular frequency was by doing 1/2E11=5E-12
and then doing 2pi/5E-12 to give me 1.26E12.

This method is faster than using the E=0.5kx2 and T=2pi sqroot(m/k) and is actually the same thing because angular frequency2 = k/m.

1. What is SHM in atoms?

SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion) in atoms refers to the oscillatory motion of atoms or particles around their equilibrium positions due to an applied force. This motion can be described using the principles of classical mechanics.

2. How is SHM related to atoms?

SHM is related to atoms because atoms can exhibit oscillatory motion around their equilibrium positions when subjected to an external force. This is due to the restoring force provided by the interatomic bonds.

3. What factors affect SHM in atoms?

The factors that affect SHM in atoms include the mass of the atom, the strength of the interatomic bonds, and the amplitude and frequency of the applied force.

4. Is your textbook wrong about SHM in atoms?

It is possible that your textbook may contain errors or outdated information about SHM in atoms. It is always a good idea to consult multiple sources and do further research to verify the information presented in your textbook.

5. Can SHM in atoms be observed in real life?

Yes, SHM in atoms can be observed in real life. For example, the oscillations of a diatomic molecule around its equilibrium bond length can be seen using spectroscopic techniques. Additionally, the oscillations of atoms in a crystal lattice can also be observed using x-ray diffraction.