1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHM of Pendulum

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pendulum's angle is given by (.10 rad)cos(5t + pi)
    where t is in sec. What is the initial angle?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Do I plug in t= 0 to get this angle, or is the phase constant this angle? I read that the phase constant specifies initial conditions, but I'm not entirely clear on what it means.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds good to me :approve:. The initial conditions is simply a set of conditions which fix the values of a function at time t=0.

4. Apr 19, 2008 #3
    According to the equation above pi is my phase constant, but if I plug in t=0, I don't come up with pi as initial angle, so I'm not sure if phase constant and initial angle are the same thing

5. Apr 19, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They're not, the phase angle is chosen such that the initial conditions, i.e. the angle at t=0, is satisfied. Does that make sense?

6. Apr 19, 2008 #5
    I still don't understand. Could you describe it to me using the equation Theta(t) = theta max * cos (omega*t+ phase constant) with the values in the equation in the problem up above?

7. Apr 19, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi bcjochim07! :smile:

You're confused because, in this case, the amplitude is an angle, just like the phase constant.

Usually, the amplitude is a number or a length or a speed, so there's no confusion … the question would ask for the initial value, or the initial distance, or the initial speed … and you couldn't get that confused with the phase constant!

The initial angle is θ(0), which is θmax * cos (phase constant). :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?