Space Shuttle Reference Manual PDF Download

In summary, the conversation revolves around the request for a downloadable version of the Space Shuttle Reference Manual in PDF format. Suggestions are given to search on Google and NASA's website, but it is mentioned that the manual may only be available online. The discussion also touches on the availability of technical information for other aerospace vehicles and the potential classification of certain specifications.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anybody knows where can I download the Space Shuttle Reference Manual in PDF version?.

Any helps welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Forum might give you better replies.

try google

Search the NASA site, I remember some general info on the JPL
site too.

Be careful man, the SS has many alarm systems and there're
few buyers to take it off you hands... :wink: :biggrin:

drag said:
Be careful man, the SS has many alarm systems and there're
few buyers to take it off you hands... :wink: :biggrin:

I wonder what the bluebook value of a slightly used (~100,000,000 km) but totally overhauled, early 80s model shuttle orbiter is. :tongue2:

Nenad said:
try google

What a brainwave!. But it was the first thing I did. It only showed me some sites with an online manual, and I would want to have it in paper.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Got a copy of the payload canister system, but hardcopy only.

Thanks for your reply, but I think I'm going to keep on searching the complete one.

Honest question here...is this sort of information on the space shuttle really so widely available to just anybody ? I mean, sure it's not new technology. But if I can't find out the specs on a fighter jet (I'm assuming and hoping fervently that one can't), why should I be able to for the space shuttle?

Arianespace post in their web the user's manual for Soyuz/TM and Ariane rockets, with a lot of technical information free to download. This kind of information is available depending on the politeness of the company. Perhaps in Europe we are less rude than NASA' secrets.

Boeing and Lockheed both have payload planner's guides available online for the Delta 4-Heavy and Atlas-5 respectively. I think NASA may have pulled theirs because the Shuttle's future isn't known yet.

I have looked extensively over the last year and the best I found was the 1988 News Reference Manual online. It's not .pdf, but it does have a good deal of information.

Last edited:
Thank you, sir.

cepheid said:
But if I can't find out the specs on a fighter jet (I'm assuming and hoping fervently that one can't), why should I be able to for the space shuttle?

Depends. Some of the older jets like the F-16 you can learn the specs, but it depends on the spec. Max range/speed, stealth, things like that are still classified. But you can, if you have a reason to know (like you are designing a widget to attach to the jet) be givin the specs.

1. What is a Space Shuttle Reference Manual?

A Space Shuttle Reference Manual is a comprehensive guide that contains all the necessary information for operating and maintaining a space shuttle. It covers everything from technical specifications to emergency procedures.

2. Where can I download a Space Shuttle Reference Manual?

The Space Shuttle Reference Manual can be downloaded from various sources online, including NASA's website. It is also available for purchase in print form.

3. Who uses a Space Shuttle Reference Manual?

A Space Shuttle Reference Manual is used by astronauts, engineers, and other personnel involved in space shuttle missions. It serves as a reference guide for both training and actual missions.

4. What type of information is included in a Space Shuttle Reference Manual?

The Space Shuttle Reference Manual includes information on the shuttle's systems, operations, and procedures. It also contains emergency checklists and detailed diagrams to aid in troubleshooting and problem-solving.

5. Is the Space Shuttle Reference Manual updated regularly?

Yes, the Space Shuttle Reference Manual is updated regularly to reflect changes in technology and procedures. It is important for personnel to have the most up-to-date information when operating a space shuttle.