Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Shuttle Manual

1. Aug 11, 2004 #1

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anybody knows where can I download the Space Shuttle Reference Manual in PDF version?.

Any helps welcomed.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2004 #2
    The Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Forum might give you better replies.

4. Aug 11, 2004 #3
    try google

5. Aug 12, 2004 #4

drag

Science Advisor

Search the NASA site, I remember some general info on the JPL
    site too.

Be careful man, the SS has many alarm systems and there're
    few buyers to take it off you hands... :wink: :biggrin:

6. Aug 12, 2004 #5
    I wonder what the bluebook value of a slightly used (~100,000,000 km) but totally overhauled, early 80s model shuttle orbiter is. :tongue2:

7. Aug 13, 2004 #6

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What a brainwave!!. But it was the first thing I did. It only showed me some sites with an online manual, and I would want to have it in paper.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

8. Aug 24, 2004 #7
    Got a copy of the payload canister system, but hardcopy only.

9. Aug 25, 2004 #8

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for your reply, but I think I'm going to keep on searching the complete one.

10. Aug 26, 2004 #9

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Honest question here...is this sort of information on the space shuttle really so widely available to just anybody ? I mean, sure it's not new technology. But if I can't find out the specs on a fighter jet (I'm assuming and hoping fervently that one can't), why should I be able to for the space shuttle?

11. Aug 26, 2004 #10

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Arianespace post in their web the user's manual for Soyuz/TM and Ariane rockets, with a lot of technical information free to download. This kind of information is available depending on the politeness of the company. Perhaps in Europe we are less rude than NASA' secrets.

12. Aug 26, 2004 #11

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boeing and Lockheed both have payload planner's guides available online for the Delta 4-Heavy and Atlas-5 respectively. I think NASA may have pulled theirs because the Shuttle's future isn't known yet.

I have looked extensively over the last year and the best I found was the 1988 News Reference Manual online. It's not .pdf, but it does have a good deal of information.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  13. Aug 26, 2004 #12

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you, sir.

14. Aug 31, 2004 #13
    Depends. Some of the older jets like the F-16 you can learn the specs, but it depends on the spec. Max range/speed, stealth, things like that are still classified. But you can, if you have a reason to know (like you are designing a widget to attach to the jet) be givin the specs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?