Simple but maybe tricky for me

• Thread starter chawki
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a figure with an upright rigid rod and a flexible rope attached to a weight. The question is asking for the difference in length between two sections, CF and CB, when the rod is translated to a horizontal plane. The solution involves applying Pythagoras' law and taking the square root to find the difference in length.
chawki

Homework Statement

In the figure between AB is an upright rigid rod and flexible access to B from a rope which passes around the points C and D are located in the rollers for spot through the point E, where the rope is attached to weight.

Homework Equations

How much in section E, this weight will increase when the rod AB be translated into a horizontal plane

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't get it..any hints?

Attachments

• Rod.JPEG
    Rod.JPEG
    5.4 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
What are we trying to find here? tension in rope?

I don't see how the weight will increase by moving the rod down. In fact, it may drop seeing the elevation might change if u want to consider the minute gravity drop.

hi chawki! :smile:

i'm confused :confused:

is this just a geometry problem, to find how much higher M goes if the rope goes straight from C to the bottom of that arc, instead of only from C to B?

tiny-tim said:
hi chawki! :smile:

i'm confused :confused:

is this just a geometry problem, to find how much higher M goes if the rope goes straight from C to the bottom of that arc, instead of only from C to B?

Hello Tiny-tim :shy:
Actually it will go from B to the bottom, and yes it's probably to find how much higher that mass will go

then that's just subtracting one side of the triangle from another, isn't it?

If its the new heigth of the mass.

Lets call the tip of the rod when it's down F. the answer would be FC - BC

u can find the length of FC by using pythaegaros, u got AC and AF(AB)

Ok guys I'm lost...what triangle?

using the tip of the rod as F, the triangle would be FCA when the rod is horizontal.

Like this ?

Attachments

• Copie de Rod.JPEG
    Copie de Rod.JPEG
    5.5 KB · Views: 368
Yep and the amount E rises will simply be the difference between the tip of the rod and point C in both scenarios.

Ok, if i get it right, the answer would be like this:
(0.5+x)2=2.52+22
we solve the equation x2+x-10=0
Delta=41
x1=-3.70 (it can't be because it's a negative value)
x2=2.70
so x=2.7m.

Attachments

• Copie de Rod.JPEG
    Copie de Rod.JPEG
    6.3 KB · Views: 360
am i right?

chawki said:
In the figure between AB is an upright rigid rod and flexible access to B from a rope which passes around the points C and D are located in the rollers for spot through the point E, where the rope is attached to weight.

How much in section E, this weight will increase when the rod AB be translated into a horizontal plane

The question seems to be asking for the difference between the lengths CF and CB.

That's x = √(2.52+22) - 0.5

That's the same as your equation…

chawki said:
Ok, if i get it right, the answer would be like this:
(0.5+x)2=2.52+22
we solve the equation x2+x-10=0 …

… except for some reason you've turned it into a quadratic equation ……

why?? :confused:

i just applied pythagore law

chawki said:
i just applied pythagore law

yes, your first line was Pythagoras' law, but then you should just have taken the square root (that gets you my equation), not made a quadratic out of it :wink:

but what do you mean ?
the point is the find x, isn't ?

yes, but quickly
tiny-tim said:
That's x = √(2.52+22) - 0.5

:wink:

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to problem-solving that involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data in order to reach a conclusion about a particular phenomenon. It is the foundation of all scientific research and is used to ensure that experiments are conducted in a logical and objective manner.

2. How can I ensure the accuracy of my experiments?

To ensure the accuracy of your experiments, it is important to follow the scientific method and use proper controls. This includes keeping detailed records, replicating experiments, and using statistical analysis to determine the significance of your results. It is also important to use reliable and calibrated equipment, and to eliminate any potential sources of bias.

3. What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a tentative explanation for a phenomenon, while a theory is a well-supported and extensively tested explanation that has been accepted by the scientific community. A hypothesis is typically based on limited evidence and is subject to change as new evidence is discovered, while a theory is generally considered to be a more reliable and comprehensive explanation.

4. How do I know if a source is reliable?

When evaluating the reliability of a source, it is important to consider the credentials of the author, the publication or organization it comes from, and whether or not it has been peer-reviewed. Additionally, it is important to look for supporting evidence and to check for any potential biases or conflicts of interest. It is always best to consult multiple sources to ensure the accuracy and validity of information.

5. Can a scientific theory be proven?

No, a scientific theory cannot be proven in the traditional sense. A theory is a well-supported and extensively tested explanation, but it is always subject to change or refinement as new evidence is discovered. However, a theory can be considered extremely reliable and supported by a vast amount of evidence, making it the most accepted explanation for a particular phenomenon.