Calculating Coefficient of Kinetic Friction in a Hockey Game

• Thread starter xenograftsoul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of kinetic friction between a hockey puck and ice based on its initial speed and distance traveled before stopping. The formula for calculating frictional force is mentioned, as well as the role of mass and normal force. After some calculations and discussion, it is determined that the coefficient of friction is approximately 0.32.
xenograftsoul

Homework Statement

During a hockey game, a puck is given an initial speed of 10 m/s. It slides 50 m on the ice before it stops. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice?

A. 0.090
B. 0.10
C. 0.11
D. 0.12 I'm taking an online class and unless I've missed something friction hasn't come up yet in the lessons but is in the quiz. If I remember correctly though (from high school physics) you need some mass or normal force for it.

Is this answerable as is?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
xenograftsoul said:

Homework Statement

During a hockey game, a puck is given an initial speed of 10 m/s. It slides 50 m on the ice before it stops. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice?

A. 0.090
B. 0.10
C. 0.11
D. 0.12 I'm taking an online class and unless I've missed something friction hasn't come up yet in the lessons but is in the quiz. If I remember correctly though (from high school physics) you need some mass or normal force for it.

Thanks for any help.

Well, here are some hints: The initial kinetic energy of the puck goes into the work to overcome friction. Work is equal to force times distance. The frictional force is equal to the coefficient of friction times the normal force acting between the puck and the ice. That force is given by the mass of the puck times the acceleration of gravity. Now assemble all these pieces and you will find that you can solve for the coefficient of friction. (There will be a fortuitous cancellation along the way)

Last edited:
okay, so far I believe
50m=10m/s / 2 *Time^2 solve for Time gives the time it takes to stop (sqrt10)
10m/s divided by Time= average acceleration (again sqrt10 or 3.16)
3.16m/s^2 * mass = the frictional force = the coefficient of friction * mass * g

I believe that force is also equal to the force in work (equal but opposite).
work = force * distance
work = 3.16m/s^2 * mass * 50mSolving for the coefficient here though still seems fruitless:
3.16m/s^2 * mass =

yup. there was that "and now I feel like an idiot" moment.

3.16m/s^2 * mass = coefficient of friction * mass * 9.8m/s^2

there, now the masses cancel and 3.16m/s^2 divided by 9.8m/s^2 gets rid of the m/s^2
(I am correct in my understanding that the coefficient should be without units)

but that leaves me with sqrt10/9.8 = .32

Have I fumbled somewhere or was this all a red herring?

xenograftsoul said:
okay, so far I believe
50m=10m/s / 2 *Time^2 solve for Time gives the time it takes to stop
you have written that
distance = average velocity*time^2 . Correct this and you'll be OK.

okay, that makes everything better. That was a silly mistake. Thanks for all the help.

What is simple friction?

Simple friction is a force that opposes the relative motion of two surfaces in contact. It is caused by irregularities on the surface of objects and is dependent on the type of surfaces and the force pushing them together.

How is friction calculated?

Friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces are, by the normal force, which is the force pushing the surfaces together. The resulting value is the force of friction.

What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the amount of force pushing them together, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces. Additionally, the roughness of the surfaces and the speed at which they are moving can also affect friction.

How does friction impact everyday life?

Friction plays a crucial role in everyday life. It allows us to walk without slipping, drive a car, and grip objects with our hands. It also helps to slow down moving objects and prevent them from sliding or falling.

How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. The smoother the surfaces, the less friction there will be. Additionally, reducing the force pushing the surfaces together can also decrease friction.