Simple Harmonic Motion- Phase Shift Help

In summary, the mass of 590.0 g oscillates with an amplitude of 11.4 cm on a spring with a spring constant of 27.7 N/m. At t=0.00 s, the mass is 3.14 cm to the right of equilibrium and moving to the right. After finding the angular frequency to be 6.85 rad/s, the equation x(t)=0.114cos(6.85t + phi) is used to determine the phase shift. By plugging in the position at t=0 and solving for phi, a phase shift of -1.29 rad is found, indicating that the mass is initially moving to the right.
Brian M

Homework Statement

A 590.0 g mass oscillates with an amplitude of 11.4 cm on a spring whose spring constant is 27.7 N/m. At t=0.00 s the mass is 3.14 cm to the right of the equilibrium position and moving to the right.

Homework Equations

x(t)=Acos(Wt + phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found the angular frequency(W) to be 6.85 rad/s to give the equation

x(t)=0.114cos(6.85t + phi)

Then I plugged in the position and at t=o to give

0.0314=0.114cos(phi)

cos(phi)=(0.0314/0.114)

cos^-1= 1.29 rad

I took that number and added 3pi/2 to give a phase shift of 6.00 rad. Which is wrong, I'm not sure why that wouldn't be the correct answer. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Brian M said:
cos(phi)=(0.0314/0.114)

cos^-1= 1.29 rad

I took that number and added 3pi/2 to give a phase shift of 6.00 rad.

Why did you add 3pi/2? cos(3pi/2+phi) is not 0.0314/0.114.

ehild

My mistake, I left out a step. I thought the phase shift was greater than 1.29 rad, so i took the angle between that and 1/2pi (0.28 rad). I added that number to 3pi/2 for a phase shift of 4.99 rad, which is still wrong.

Draw the unit circle and see the cosine of which angles are equal.
Are not they phi and 2pi-phi?

ehild

Yes they are, and 2pi-phi = 4.99 which I already tried. I'm stumped here

Have you tried really? If we take the direction "to the right" positive phi =4.991 or (-1.292) rad. No need to add anything.

ehild

Yeah the correct answer was -1.29 rad. Thanks for the help

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a body moves back and forth in a regular pattern about a fixed equilibrium point. It is characterized by a constant amplitude and a sinusoidal displacement over time.

2. How is the period of simple harmonic motion calculated?

The period of simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion. It is calculated using the equation T=2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

3. What is the phase shift in simple harmonic motion?

The phase shift in simple harmonic motion refers to the horizontal displacement of the motion's starting point from the equilibrium position. It can be calculated using the equation x=x₀+Acos(ωt+φ), where x₀ is the initial position, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase shift.

4. How does a change in frequency affect simple harmonic motion?

A change in frequency can affect the amplitude and period of simple harmonic motion. As the frequency increases, the period decreases and the amplitude increases. This means that the motion will occur more quickly and with a greater maximum displacement.

5. What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and energy?

Simple harmonic motion involves the exchange of potential and kinetic energy, as the object oscillates between its maximum potential energy at the boundaries of its motion and its maximum kinetic energy at the equilibrium position. The total energy remains constant throughout the motion, in accordance with the law of conservation of energy.