Simple Nodal Analysis Problem Solution and Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a circuit problem using KVL and KCL. The key steps are defining the variables, creating a supernode, and determining the potential difference across a resistor. The potential difference across the 4 ohm resistor is V1 - 21.
Magnawolf

Homework Statement

cDpzcYo.png

Homework Equations

KVL and KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

Let V = V1 and the Voltage across the 2 ohm resistor be V2 just for reference.

Step 1: KCL @ Supernode: V1/3 + V2/2 + 21/4 + V3/6 = 0

I think my problem is here somewhere. Does V3 = V2 because they're in parallel? Also, am I wrong to say that 21/4 is a current going out of the supernode?

Step 2: V2-V1 = 9 (pretty sure this is right)

I can't get the correct answer. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnawolf said:

Homework Statement

cDpzcYo.png

Homework Equations

KVL and KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

Let V = V1 and the Voltage across the 2 ohm resistor be V2 just for reference.

I think my problem is here somewhere. Does V3 = V2 because they're in parallel? Also, am I wrong to say that 21/4 is a current going out of the supernode?

Step 2: V2-V1 = 9 (pretty sure this is right)

I can't get the correct answer. Any help is appreciated.

The 2 and 6 Ohm resistors are in parallel so they must share the same potential difference. If V1 is the potential at the top of the 3 Ohm resistor then the potential difference across the 4 Ohm resistor must be V1 - 21.

If you make a supernode of the nodes either side of the 9 V source, then really you need only one voltage variable to write the equation. Suppose you chose v to be that variable (after all it's already specified in the circuit diagram). Then on one side of the source the potential is v and on the other side it's v+9. No need to introduce V2 or V3 etc.

Hi. Your V3 is V2, it's the one and the same node. Keep it as just V2.

The current through the 4Ω is given by (voltage across the 4Ω resistor itself) / 4

So what is the voltage across that 4 ohm resistor? Hint: the expression will involve a subtraction

gneill said:
If V1 is the potential at the top of the 3 Ohm resistor then the potential difference across the 4 Ohm resistor must be V1 - 21.
This. This is what I needed. Thanks so much!

Your approach to solving this nodal analysis problem is correct. However, there are a few mistakes in your equations that are leading to an incorrect answer. Let's break down your solution step by step and address the errors.

Your equation for the supernode is correct, but you have made a mistake in identifying the currents. V3 is not equal to V2 because they are in parallel. Instead, the current going through the 21 ohm resistor is equal to (V2-V3)/21. Also, the current going through the 2 ohm resistor is equal to V2/2, not V2 as you have written. Finally, the current going through the 4 ohm resistor is equal to (V1-0)/4, as there is no voltage drop across the ground node.

Step 2: V2-V1 = 9

This equation is also correct, as it is simply applying KVL around the outer loop of the circuit. However, you need to substitute the correct values for V1 and V2 in order to solve for the correct answer.

In summary, your approach to solving this problem is correct, but you have made some mistakes in identifying the currents and substituting the appropriate values in your equations. By correcting these errors, you should be able to arrive at the correct solution. Keep practicing and don't hesitate to ask for help if you get stuck on a problem. Good luck!

1. What is Simple Nodal Analysis?

Simple Nodal Analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current values at different nodes in a circuit. It involves applying Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law to create a system of equations that can be solved to find the unknown values.

2. How do you set up a Simple Nodal Analysis problem?

To set up a Simple Nodal Analysis problem, you first need to identify all the nodes in the circuit. Then, you need to label each node with a variable and write down the KCL equation for each node. Finally, you use Ohm's Law to express the voltage and current values in terms of the node variables.

3. What are the advantages of using Simple Nodal Analysis?

Simple Nodal Analysis is advantageous because it allows for a systematic approach to circuit analysis, making it easier to solve complex circuits. It also provides a more accurate analysis compared to other methods, as it takes into account the voltage and current at each node in the circuit.

4. What are the limitations of Simple Nodal Analysis?

Simple Nodal Analysis assumes that all the components in the circuit are linear and that the voltage and current values can be represented by simple equations. This limits its applicability to more complex circuits with non-linear components. It also requires a good understanding of KCL and Ohm's Law, which can be challenging for beginners.

5. Can Simple Nodal Analysis be used for AC circuits?

Yes, Simple Nodal Analysis can be used for AC circuits. However, the equations become more complex as they involve phasor representation of voltages and currents. Additionally, the analysis needs to be done for each frequency separately, making it more time-consuming compared to DC circuits.