1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple pendulum dynamics; equations of motion, work and energy

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See attachment "problem"

2. Relevant equations
    Euler's laws of motion (moment equations), work and energy equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    See attachment "work"

I did the work for (1) and (2). I end up with two equations: the first is the tension T, the second is the angular acceleration. I'm not so sure if I made any mistakes in solving the equations of motion, but I'm not really comfortable with these two equations and feel like something went wrong. I just can't see it. Remember the pendulum is a point mass, hence for the point mass the moment of inertia is ml^2. Now for question (3), how do I find the angular velocity? None of my two equations contain this quantity, hence I feel like something went wrong. For (4), I do indeed have T= 9.83/sin(theta). Now how do I plot this in relation to time? Because from this equation I can only plot the tension T in relation to the change in angle, not time. I'm not going to worry about (5) right now, gotta get (1)-(4) right first.

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps look at it from the point of view of energy eg KE at the bottom = PE at the top.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook