Simple question regarding relay

• Thread starter DrKareem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relay
In summary, a relay is an electromagnetic switch that is used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It works by using a small electromagnet to open and close a larger switch, allowing current to flow through the circuit or cutting it off completely. This allows for the control of larger amounts of power with a smaller amount of current. Relays are commonly used in a variety of electronic and electrical systems, including cars, appliances, and industrial machinery.
DrKareem
I've bashed my heads through walls trying to make this work. I have a small project that is done except this part. I want to use a relays (5 pins) as switch such that when switch switches to the other end, it gets stuck there until it is reset from an external push-button.

One of the solutions that I tried that theoretically should work is to connect the common the end of the switch with a voltage applied to it, but didn't work...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use the contacts to complete the circuit for the coil current. Use a normally closed push button switch to interrupt this current to reset it.

Yeah; it's called a 'latching relay'. As Average said, you just use the secondary contacts as part of the primary coil circuit. Bypass them with a parallel-wired switch to energize it in the first place, and have a second cut-out switch in series to turn it off. If further info is needed, I can post a diagram later.
By the way, both sides of the switched circuit have to be running from the same voltage (or at least close enough that the coil can handle the power from the secondary supply). If not, use a 3PST relay (6 pins) and take the 'loop' power from the primary supply through the normally unused pins.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys. It worked. I basically implemented one of those laser security systems (If you bass through the laser beam, an alarm sounds) for about 3$. Contact me if you want the design, it's really simple.

I just might do that, Dr. It would be handy for me, not as an alarm but rather a trigger for some electronic home decorations.

(I'm not really a Dr. don't know why i made that name when i first registered couple of years back, I'm an undergrad student graduating in few days :p )

I used a photo resistor at the base of a BJT with another one acting for the voltage divisor. When light shines on the photo resistor (should be bright light) resistance drops to zero and BJT would be effectively grounded and thus turned off. I'm sure that's how you thought of it.

DrKareem said:
I'm not really a Dr.
Actually, I just abbreviated your name as I do most others because it's easier to type. :biggrin:

DrKareem said:
I'm sure that's how you thought of it.
I did not, in fact, think of it at all. I know virtually nothing about electronics. I can, however, follow a schematic to build something. I know that I have plans for some photocell circuits somewhere. In fact, I just bought myself one of those 200-experiment electronics kits ($10 at a 2nd hand store) to try and teach myself how things work, but W won't let me play with it in the house. (Just have to do it when she's on night shift and put it away before she gets home. :devil: ) It has a photo emitter/detector set included, and an instruction book.

Danger said:
Actually, I just abbreviated your name as I do most others because it's easier to type. :biggrin:

I did not, in fact, think of it at all. I know virtually nothing about electronics. I can, however, follow a schematic to build something. I know that I have plans for some photocell circuits somewhere. In fact, I just bought myself one of those 200-experiment electronics kits ($10 at a 2nd hand store) to try and teach myself how things work, but W won't let me play with it in the house. (Just have to do it when she's on night shift and put it away before she gets home. :devil: ) It has a photo emitter/detector set included, and an instruction book.

Can you describe that kit for me danger? I have one from many years ago and had a lot of fun with it. I'm wondering if they are the same. Did you get the manual for it?

Danger said:
Yeah; it's called a 'latching relay'. As Average said...

That's Averagesupernova to you buster. :tongue2:

Averagesupernova said:
That's Averagesupernova to you buster. :tongue2:
Bite me. And the fight is on... :biggrin:

It's the Science Fair 200-in-1 Electronic Project Kit. There is indeed a manual, the copyright for which reads 'c 1987 InterTAN CANADA LTD.'

Is the battery holder in plain site or is it underneath?

I haven't used the thing yet; just glanced at it when I first got it. I believe that it's a 2 x 'D' cell unit on top in the far right corner, but I can't be sure until I look again tonight. I'll probably bypass it and use a wall adapter instead.

Umm, no. Not likely the wall adapter will work. Most of those projects need clean DC power. Not something with ripple on it. Also, some projects need 3 volt supplies, some 4.5, some 6, and some 9. Most likely it is 6 AA batteries. I'm just wondering which one you have.

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of the ripple. Anyhow, I'll look as soon as I get home from work in a couple of hours and let you know right away.

Hi, I'm back; did you miss me? :shy:
Anyhow, here's a picture of it. You're right; that case is for 6x 'AA' batteries. Sorry about the picture quality. I don't really know how to use this camera for close-up stuff.

"[IMG[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. That's the one I thought it was. I had one that is older than that. Mine had a dust cover and the batteries went in the back side under a cover.

Really? Given your advanced chronology, I would have expected it to have vacuum tubes. :tongue:

Pot... kettle... black...

:rofl: [color=#eded]...[/color]

A tube set would have been kinda cool though. I have little experience with tubes. I guess there is nothing stopping me now from doing some tube projects.

What is a relay?

A relay is an electronic device that allows a small electrical signal to control a larger electrical load. It acts as a switch, using an electromagnet to open or close a circuit.

What are the different types of relays?

There are many different types of relays, including electromechanical relays, solid-state relays, thermal relays, and reed relays. Each type has its own unique characteristics and applications.

What is the purpose of a relay?

The purpose of a relay is to control the flow of electricity to a load. It can be used to turn a device on or off, or to switch between different circuits or power sources.

How do you test a relay?

To test a relay, you can use a multimeter to check for continuity and measure the resistance. You can also apply a small voltage to the coil to see if the relay is functioning properly.

What are some common applications of relays?

Relays are commonly used in many electronic devices and systems, such as industrial control systems, automotive electronics, household appliances, and telecommunications equipment. They are also used in safety systems and in power grid infrastructure.