1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplify the expression -- Electric field in a capacitor

1. Nov 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Between two metal plates a metal strip is inserted as shown on the figure. Captureh.PNG
    a) Calculate the electric potential anywhere inside the capacitor.
    b) Simplifly ##U(x,y)## for ##x>>a##.
    c) Calculate the electric field in the middle of the capactior.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a) Ok, since we have no other charges in the capacitor, than ##\nabla ^2 U=0##. In kartezian coordinates this means that ##U(x,y)=\sum _m (A_me^{-k_mx}+B_me^{k_mx})(Csin(k_my)+Dcos(k_my))##.

Using boundary conditions
    ##U(0,y)=U_0## and
    ##U(x,0)=0## and
    ##U(x,a)=0## we find out that

##U(x,y)=\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty}\frac{2U_0}{n\pi }(1-(-1)^n)e^{-\frac{n\pi}{a}x}\sin(\frac{n\pi }{a}y)##

b) The result is that out of the sum only ##n=1## survives, therefore ##U(x,y)=\frac{4U_0}{\pi }e^{-\frac{\pi}{a}x}\sin(\frac{\pi }{a}y)##.

I am having some troubles understanding this. Could anybody please try to explain how do I get this result? o_O

c)

##U(x,a/2)=\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty}\frac{2U_0}{n\pi }(1-(-1)^n)e^{-\frac{n\pi}{a}x}\sin(\frac{n\pi }{2})##

##\vec E=-\nabla U(x,a/2)=\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty}\frac{2U_0}{a}(1-(-1)^n)\sin(\frac{n\pi }{2})e^{-\frac{n\pi}{a}x}##

I think I should do something more with that last equation but I really don't know what or how.. :/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Consider the expression (1 - (-1)n). What happens when n is even? When n is odd?

4. Nov 11, 2014 #3
    How is this related to ##x>>a##?

ps: SteamKing, I edited the post and added some more questions.

5. Nov 11, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, if you had examined the expression, you would have seen that about half the terms drop out, due to the expression being 0 for n even.

6. Nov 12, 2014 #5
    Yes, I agree. But this still doesn't explain why only ##n=1## is ok? What happens with ##n=3##?
    I apologize but I still can't see how is this related to ##x>>a##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted