Simplify the expression -- Electric field in a capacitor

In summary: Could you please try explaining it in a different way?In summary, the electric potential inside the capacitor can be calculated using the Laplace equation in Cartesian coordinates. By applying boundary conditions, it can be simplified to a sum with only the first term surviving when x is much larger than a. This can be explained by examining the expression (1 - (-1)n), where it is seen that about half the terms drop out for n even. This is related to x being much larger than a because as x increases, the terms with higher values of n become smaller and eventually negligible.
skrat

Homework Statement

Between two metal plates a metal strip is inserted as shown on the figure.
Captureh.PNG

a) Calculate the electric potential anywhere inside the capacitor.
b) Simplifly ##U(x,y)## for ##x>>a##.
c) Calculate the electric field in the middle of the capactior.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Ok, since we have no other charges in the capacitor, than ##\nabla ^2 U=0##. In kartezian coordinates this means that ##U(x,y)=\sum _m (A_me^{-k_mx}+B_me^{k_mx})(Csin(k_my)+Dcos(k_my))##.

Using boundary conditions
##U(0,y)=U_0## and
##U(x,0)=0## and
##U(x,a)=0## we find out that

##U(x,y)=\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty}\frac{2U_0}{n\pi }(1-(-1)^n)e^{-\frac{n\pi}{a}x}\sin(\frac{n\pi }{a}y)##

b) The result is that out of the sum only ##n=1## survives, therefore ##U(x,y)=\frac{4U_0}{\pi }e^{-\frac{\pi}{a}x}\sin(\frac{\pi }{a}y)##.

I am having some troubles understanding this. Could anybody please try to explain how do I get this result? o_O

c)

##U(x,a/2)=\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty}\frac{2U_0}{n\pi }(1-(-1)^n)e^{-\frac{n\pi}{a}x}\sin(\frac{n\pi }{2})##

##\vec E=-\nabla U(x,a/2)=\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty}\frac{2U_0}{a}(1-(-1)^n)\sin(\frac{n\pi }{2})e^{-\frac{n\pi}{a}x}##

I think I should do something more with that last equation but I really don't know what or how.. :/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:

Homework Statement

Simplifly ##U(x,y)=\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty}\frac{2U_0}{n\pi }(1-(-1)^n)e^{-\frac{n\pi}{a}x}\sin(\frac{n\pi }{a}y)## for ##x>>a##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The result is that out of the sum only ##n=1## survives, therefore ##U(x,y)=\frac{4U_0}{\pi }e^{-\frac{\pi}{a}x}\sin(\frac{\pi }{a}y)##.

I am having some troubles understanding this. Could anybody please try to explain how do I get this result? o_O

ps: If you need the whole problem, just let me know, but it shouldn't play any role for this...

Consider the expression (1 - (-1)n). What happens when n is even? When n is odd?

SteamKing said:
Consider the expression (1 - (-1)n). What happens when n is even? When n is odd?
How is this related to ##x>>a##?

ps: SteamKing, I edited the post and added some more questions.

skrat said:
How is this related to ##x>>a##?

ps: SteamKing, I edited the post and added some more questions.

Well, if you had examined the expression, you would have seen that about half the terms drop out, due to the expression being 0 for n even.

SteamKing said:
Well, if you had examined the expression, you would have seen that about half the terms drop out, due to the expression being 0 for n even.

Yes, I agree. But this still doesn't explain why only ##n=1## is ok? What happens with ##n=3##?
I apologize but I still can't see how is this related to ##x>>a##.

1. What is an electric field in a capacitor?

An electric field in a capacitor is a region in space where electrically charged particles can experience a force. It is created by the separation of positive and negative charges on the plates of a capacitor.

2. How is the electric field in a capacitor calculated?

The electric field in a capacitor can be calculated using the formula E = Q/Aε, where E is the electric field strength, Q is the charge on the plates, A is the area of the plates, and ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates.

3. What is the relationship between the electric field and the voltage in a capacitor?

The electric field in a capacitor is directly proportional to the voltage. This means that as the voltage increases, the electric field also increases.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the electric field in a capacitor?

The electric field in a capacitor is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the electric field decreases.

5. What is the significance of the electric field in a capacitor?

The electric field in a capacitor is important because it determines the amount of energy stored in the capacitor. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of many electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones.