Simultaneity in Non-Observable Universe: Is it Possible?

In summary: But the point I was trying to make is that just because you can't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of determining simultaneity of events beyond the reach of light, with one participant suggesting using co-moving coordinates and the other stating that it is undefined. The conversation also delves into the idea of defining "now" and comparing it to seeing the back of one's head. It is concluded that relativity can be applied to all spacetime geometries and that there are identifiable ways to define simultaneity, but they cannot be applied practically due to the inability to communicate.
Chris Miller
Is there any method/model for determining simultaneity of events farther apart than light can ever travel? I'm guessing not. Would it be wrong to say that the non-observable universe exists only in our past (or future)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can adopt any simultaneity convention you like. Typically people use co-moving coordinates as "the" time, in which case one can define simultaneous as meaning two events which occur the same time (as determined by a co-moving observer) after the big bang singularity. Or that occurred when the temperature of the CMB (measured by co-moving observers at each event) was the same.

Chris Miller said:
Would it be wrong to say that the non-observable universe exists only in our past (or future)?
My understanding of light cones tells me events in the non-observable universe are not in our past or future, since their information cannot reach us.

Last edited:
Thanks Ibix. Problem for me here is that I have no idea what my distant co-moving observer's measurements are, was under the impression that I had to be able to "see" her clock through some hypothetically super-powerful telescope and then subtract the light travel time to know, say, that my 2018: Jan 1: 00:00:00 is her 2035: Mar 6: 13:30:05. Or whatever.

I share your confusion here stoomart. Practically speaking, simultaneity beyond light's reach seems undefined.

You don't know what's happened until you see it, no. And my understanding is that there are parts of the universe you'll never see. But you can talk hypothetically about what's happening now somewhere you can't see (or won't see until later). The only extra wrinkle relativity introduces is a requirement to define what you mean by "now" before you do.

Saying simultaneity is undefined where you can't see is a bit like saying the back of your head is undefined because you aren't sitting between a pair of mirrors. I suppose it's possible that the back of my head doesn't exist at the moment, but if so it's strange how it comes into existence the instant someone comes into the room behind me.

Likes stoomart
Ibix said:
You don't know what's happened until you see it, no. And my understanding is that there are parts of the universe you'll never see. But you can talk hypothetically about what's happening now somewhere you can't see (or won't see until later). The only extra wrinkle relativity introduces is a requirement to define what you mean by "now" before you do.

Saying simultaneity is undefined where you can't see is a bit like saying the back of your head is undefined because you aren't sitting between a pair of mirrors. I suppose it's possible that the back of my head doesn't exist at the moment, but if so it's strange how it comes into existence the instant someone comes into the room behind me.
I understand relativity doesn't apply to Hubble expansion where even though co-moving objects are separating at >c, their light clocks would each appear (if they could each be seen by the other) to run at the same speed. Also Minkowski space doesn't factor in expansion. So maybe this was the wrong forum for my question. I suppose your analogy is valid, although I have seen the back of my head and can examine it in ways other than visually.

Chris Miller said:
So maybe this was the wrong forum for my question.

General relativity covers all spacetime geometries, not just Minkowski spacetime. So this is the right forum.

Another way of phrasing the answer you are getting to the original question of this thread is that you can always adopt a simultaneity convention that includes events outside your observable universe. But you won't be able to connect that convention to any physical observation that you can actually make involving those events, the way you can, for example, connect the standard simultaneity convention for inertial frames in flat spacetime to the Einstein clock synchronization procedure.

Chris Miller said:
I understand relativity doesn't apply to Hubble expansion where even though co-moving objects are separating at >c, their light clocks would each appear (if they could each be seen by the other) to run at the same speed. Also Minkowski space doesn't factor in expansion. So maybe this was the wrong forum for my question.
In cosmology there's an identifiable "time zero", the Big Bang singularity. And there's an identifiable way to define "two people in the 'same' state of motion", by finding when the CMB is isotropic. Neither of these things can be done in special relativity because the singularity and the CMB don't exist in that case. So you can actually define simultaneity in this case without communication where you can't in special relativity.

You can't actually do anything with the simultaneity convention because you can't communicate. But "at the same time" can be defined perfectly well.
Chris Miller said:
I suppose your analogy is valid, although I have seen the back of my head and can examine it in ways other than visually.
It's not my best analogy.

1. What is simultaneity in a non-observable universe?

In a non-observable universe, simultaneity refers to the idea that events or occurrences can happen at the same time, despite the lack of observation or measurement. This is in contrast to our observable universe, where the concept of simultaneity is based on the speed of light and the relativity of time.

2. Is it possible to determine simultaneity in a non-observable universe?

Currently, it is not possible to determine simultaneity in a non-observable universe. This is because we are limited by our ability to observe and measure events in the universe. Without the ability to observe and measure, we cannot accurately determine if events are happening at the same time.

3. What are some theories or explanations for simultaneity in a non-observable universe?

Some theories suggest that in a non-observable universe, time and space may not exist in the same way as in our observable universe. This could mean that the concept of simultaneity may be irrelevant in a non-observable universe. Other theories propose that there may be parallel universes or multiple dimensions, where simultaneity may be possible but in a different way than we understand it.

4. How does the concept of simultaneity in a non-observable universe impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of simultaneity in a non-observable universe challenges our current understanding of time and space. It pushes us to question our assumptions and theories about the universe and encourages us to explore new possibilities and explanations. It also highlights the limitations of our current technology and scientific methods in understanding the universe.

5. Are there any ongoing research or experiments related to simultaneity in a non-observable universe?

Yes, there are ongoing research and experiments in the fields of physics and cosmology that aim to better understand the concept of simultaneity in a non-observable universe. These include studies on the nature of time and space, the possibility of parallel universes, and theories on the multiverse. However, due to the limitations of our current technology, it may be challenging to obtain concrete evidence or proof of simultaneity in a non-observable universe.