Sine wave generator without constant voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a signal generator in a physics lab to find the frequency of a circuit. The speaker mentions that they had trouble with the voltage changing when tested with a circuit with purely resistive impedance. They suggest that the issue could be due to the impedance of the test circuit interacting with the source, or the natural variation of the generator's output with frequency. They advise taking more data and keeping track of seemingly unimportant factors, such as temperature and torque, which can affect experiment results. Additionally, they mention the importance of careful measurement, recording, and compensation in ensuring accurate results.
fedaykin
In physics lab we were using a signal generator with sine wave to find the frequency of a circuit quite precisely. Unfortunately, we had trouble and when checked with a circuit with purely resistive impedance, voltage changed with the frequency of the sine wave.

The signal generator is rather ancient, but my professor stated it worked the previous semester. Is this often something a simple dusting could fix?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Good perception. Lack of attention in the lab runs rampent in these times, and I'm glad to see someone paying attention.

Chances are you have one or both of the following:
1 - The impedance of your test circuit varies with frequency and interacts with the source. After all, the signal generator has some impedance (typically 50 ohms) and in some cases, poorly designed equipment can interact with reactive loads.
2 - The generator's output naturally varies with frequency. I have an old piece of equipment. I love it dearly, but it has the same problem.

The answer is, and always will be - take more data! Keep a column for your excitation as well as your output. If it's a linear system, you can correct it in math later. Otherwise, you can adjust the source before each reading. But, take the reading anyway and make a note that you had to adjust the output and why.

Keeping track of things that seem unimportant, and teaching your staff to do the same, will likely aid you in your career. In many cases the ambient temperature, time of day, season of the year, applied torque during assembly, etc.. ended up being linked to experiment results.

Temperature is pretty obvious. Time of day tends to be related to what people are doing, how much vibration is present, and what the heating and air conditioning are doing. Season of the year - humidity and heat load. Torque - leaky fittings and poor electrical connections.

At one time, these tenants were held self evident, but now, most companies and labs take for granted that calibration stickers mean that everything in the system is working properly. It was the old school technicians, turned out at such places as GE, that embarassed me a few times and led me to understand the value of careful measurement, recording, and compensation.

I wish you well,

Mike

Last edited:

1. What is a sine wave generator without constant voltage?

A sine wave generator without constant voltage is an electronic device that produces a waveform with a constant frequency but varying amplitude. This means that the peak voltage of the waveform remains constant, but the amplitude of the wave changes over time.

2. How does a sine wave generator without constant voltage work?

This type of generator works by using a voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO) to produce a sine wave with a fixed frequency. The output of the VCO is then fed into a voltage-controlled amplifier (VCA), which adjusts the amplitude of the waveform according to a control signal. As the control signal changes, the amplitude of the waveform also changes, resulting in a varying voltage output.

3. What are the applications of a sine wave generator without constant voltage?

One common application is in audio equipment, where this type of generator is used to produce sound waves with varying volume. It can also be used in electronic test equipment, such as oscilloscopes, to generate signals for testing electronic circuits.

4. What are the advantages of using a sine wave generator without constant voltage?

Compared to a traditional sine wave generator with a fixed voltage output, this type of generator offers greater flexibility in controlling the amplitude of the waveform. It also allows for more complex wave shapes to be generated by adjusting the control signal.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks of using a sine wave generator without constant voltage?

One limitation is that the waveform may not be as stable or accurate as a traditional generator with a fixed voltage output. Additionally, this type of generator may be more complex and expensive to build and maintain. It is also not suitable for applications that require a precise and constant voltage output.