1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single Plane?

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    1. A mass is hitting the end of a hinged rod. After impact they begin to rotate.
    The motion is then confined to a single plane. why? what plane?

3. I am a bit confused by what they mean by a single plane. Are they saying that there are only x,y coordinates? Is this just a condition for the conservation of angular momentum or a reason why linear momentum cannot apply?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The motion of any point on a hinged object is always confined to a single plane in the lab-frame. This is the plane that is normal to the axis provided by the hinge.

Consider, for example, the motion of the keyhole on a door, as the door rotates.

4. Oct 21, 2007 #3
    I'm sorry but I still don't understand why it has to be considered in the single plane?

5. Oct 21, 2007 #4
    The motion of the mass and the rod is a circle. Circle lies in a place, perpendicular to the angular momentum vector of the objects moving round the hinge... I think

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?