Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Single Plane?

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    1. A mass is hitting the end of a hinged rod. After impact they begin to rotate.
    The motion is then confined to a single plane. why? what plane?

3. I am a bit confused by what they mean by a single plane. Are they saying that there are only x,y coordinates? Is this just a condition for the conservation of angular momentum or a reason why linear momentum cannot apply?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The motion of any point on a hinged object is always confined to a single plane in the lab-frame. This is the plane that is normal to the axis provided by the hinge.

Consider, for example, the motion of the keyhole on a door, as the door rotates.

4. Oct 21, 2007 #3
    I'm sorry but I still don't understand why it has to be considered in the single plane?

5. Oct 21, 2007 #4
    The motion of the mass and the rod is a circle. Circle lies in a place, perpendicular to the angular momentum vector of the objects moving round the hinge... I think

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook