Solving f(x)=0: Horizontal Asymptote

• Thread starter Boom101
  • Start date
In summary, for the function f(x) = 2 / (x + 3), the domain excludes x = 0 and the graph has a vertical asymptote at x = -3. As x approaches -3 from the left, f(x) tends to -∞, and as x approaches -3 from the right, f(x) tends to +∞. The function is also asymptotic to the x-axis and has different vertical asymptotes for different functions. It is important to determine where the function is increasing or decreasing and where its graph is concave up or concave down, as this can provide insight into the behavior near the asymptotes.
Boom101

Homework Statement

f(x) = 2 / x + 3

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Nvm I'm an idiot. Y=0 is a horizontal asymptote

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Going by the assumption that you mean [tex] f(x) = \frac{2}{x} + 3 , [/tex] the domain excludes x=0. The graph must show an asymptote for the line x=0. As x approaches 0 from the left, f(x) tends to [tex] -\infty [/tex]; as x approaches 0 from the right, f(x) approaches [tex]+\infty[/tex]. Consider carefully what happens to the function as x itself decreases without bound, and what happens as x increases without bound!

Or the OP might have meant f(x) = 2/(x + 3), but isn't aware of the need for parentheses to distinguish this function from y = (2/x) + 3.

Both functions are asymptotic to the x-axis, but have different vertical asymptotes.

Is it absolutely necessary to find out the behavior of x -> a if you calculate whether the interval increases/decreases and the concavity?

And i did mean 2 / (x+3). I was just copying what was down on the page, but I know my original post was wrong. I was looking for the y intercept, which there isn't, correct? I'm just wondering if on top of finding if the interval increase/decrease and concavity I should also find the behavior of the limit. Thanks

Boom101 said:
Is it absolutely necessary to find out the behavior of x -> a if you calculate whether the interval increases/decreases and the concavity?
Let's get the terminology right so that people can understand what you're trying to say. The interval doesn't decrease or increase, but there are intervals on which the function increases or decreases. And there are intervals on which the graph of the function is concave up or concave down.

Knowing where the function is increasing or decreasing and where its graph is concave up or concave down will give you an idea of what the limits near the vertical asymptotes, so you could probably get away with not doing that work. OTOH, doing it gives you a check against your other work, so if you get different results, that means you did something wrong.

Boom101 said:
And i did mean 2 / (x+3). I was just copying what was down on the page, but I know my original post was wrong. I was looking for the y intercept, which there isn't, correct? I'm just wondering if on top of finding if the interval increase/decrease and concavity I should also find the behavior of the limit. Thanks
Right, there is no y-intercept. Finding the behavior around the vertical asymptote and as x gets large or very negative can be done quickly. When x is near -3, the denominator is close to 0, but the values will all be positive on one side of -3 and will all be negative for values on the other side of -3.

When x is very large, the expression 2/(x + 3) will be close to 0 (but positive). When x is very negative, this expression will also be close to 0, but will be negative. These say something about how the graph of the function approaches zero for very large or very negative values of x.

1. What is a horizontal asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote is a horizontal line that a function approaches as the input values get larger or smaller. It is a behavior of a function that occurs as the input values approach positive or negative infinity.

2. How do you find the horizontal asymptote of a function?

To find the horizontal asymptote of a function, you need to take the limit of the function as the input values approach positive or negative infinity. If the limit exists, then the horizontal asymptote is the value of the limit. If the limit does not exist, then there is no horizontal asymptote.

3. Can a function have more than one horizontal asymptote?

Yes, a function can have more than one horizontal asymptote. This occurs when the limit of the function as the input values approach positive or negative infinity is a different value for each direction. For example, a function could have a horizontal asymptote of y=3 as the input values approach positive infinity and a horizontal asymptote of y=-2 as the input values approach negative infinity.

4. What is the significance of a horizontal asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote can help us understand the behavior of a function as the input values get extremely large or small. It can also help us determine the end behavior of a function and its long-term trend. Horizontal asymptotes are important in calculus and other mathematical applications.

5. Can a function cross its horizontal asymptote?

No, a function cannot cross its horizontal asymptote. As the input values approach positive or negative infinity, the function will get closer and closer to the horizontal asymptote, but it will never actually touch or cross it. If a function appears to cross its horizontal asymptote, it is likely due to an error in graphing or calculation.