Small Oscillations on a Parabola problem.

Your name] In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frequency of oscillations of a particle attached to a spring and moving along a parabola. The potential energy and equation of motion are needed, and the approach taken involves using Pythagoras' theorem and the parabola equation to find the extension of the spring. However, there are some mistakes in the calculations that need to be corrected in order to find the equilibrium point and the frequency of oscillations.
jameson2

Homework Statement

Find the frequency of oscillations of a particle (mass m) which is free to move along the parabola y= -ax^2 + 2ax - a, and is attached to an ideal spring whose other end is fixed at (1,l) A force F is required to extend the spring to length l. a can be any real number.

Homework Equations

Lagrangian eqation, which can be used to get equation of motion.
Potential energy U=0.5kx^2
Stable equilibrium is at a point where the first derivative of U is 0 and second derivative is positive.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I need to get an equation for the potential energy to complete the lagrangian:
this requires the extension of the spring, which is what I'm having trouble with. Letting r be the extension: I tried just using Pythagoras' theorem and got the following
(l+r)^2=(x-1)^2 + (l-y)^2 and then neglecting the r^2 part due to the oscillations being small, Iihave this :
r=(1/2l)(x^2 -2x +1 -2ly +y^2)
then I think I need this in terms of x and not y, so I filled in the equation of the parabola for y, to get r in terms of x, and hence potential energy in terms of x.
However this gives me a really messy equation that I'm not going to bother typing out as it's clearly wrong. I don't see where I can change this approach to soving the problem though, any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The approach you have taken to find the potential energy and equation of motion is on the right track, but there are a few issues with your calculations.

Firstly, when using Pythagoras' theorem, you need to consider the entire length of the spring, not just the extension. This means that the right-hand side of your equation should be (l-r)^2 instead of (l+r)^2.

Secondly, when neglecting the r^2 term, you also need to neglect the 2lr term, as it is of the same order of magnitude. This means that your final equation for r should be r = (1/2l)(x^2 - 2x + 1 - 2ly + y^2 - 2lr).

Lastly, when substituting the equation of the parabola for y, you need to be careful with the signs. The equation should be y = -ax^2 + 2ax - a, so when substituting it into your equation for r, you should have r = (1/2l)(x^2 - 2x + 1 + 2alx - al).

Once you have corrected these mistakes, you should be able to simplify the potential energy equation and find the equilibrium point where the first derivative is 0 and the second derivative is positive. From there, you can find the frequency of oscillations using the Lagrangian equation and the equation of motion.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your calculations!

1. What is a small oscillation on a parabola problem?

A small oscillation on a parabola problem is a physics problem that involves a particle moving back and forth along a parabolic path, with a small amplitude and under the influence of a restoring force, such as gravity or a spring force.

2. How is a small oscillation on a parabola problem different from other oscillation problems?

A small oscillation on a parabola problem is different from other oscillation problems because it involves a parabolic path instead of a linear or circular path. Additionally, the amplitude of the oscillation is small, which allows for certain simplifications in the equations used to solve the problem.

3. What are the key equations used to solve a small oscillation on a parabola problem?

The key equations used to solve a small oscillation on a parabola problem are the equation of motion, which describes the position of the particle at any given time, and the restoring force equation, which relates the force acting on the particle to its displacement from the equilibrium position.

4. What conditions must be met for a small oscillation on a parabola problem to be valid?

For a small oscillation on a parabola problem to be valid, the amplitude of the oscillation must be small compared to the length of the parabolic path, and the restoring force must be directly proportional to the displacement of the particle from the equilibrium position.

5. What are some real-life applications of small oscillations on a parabola problems?

Small oscillations on a parabola problems can be applied to various real-life situations, such as the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the motion of a mass on a spring. These problems can also be used to model the behavior of electrical circuits and the motion of celestial bodies in orbit.