1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small Oscillations on a Parabola problem.

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the frequency of oscillations of a particle (mass m) which is free to move along the parabola y= -ax^2 + 2ax - a, and is attached to an ideal spring whose other end is fixed at (1,l) A force F is required to extend the spring to length l. a can be any real number.

2. Relevant equations
    Lagrangian eqation, which can be used to get equation of motion.
    Potential energy U=0.5kx^2
    Stable equilibrium is at a point where the first derivative of U is 0 and second derivative is positive.

3. The attempt at a solution

First I need to get an equation for the potential energy to complete the lagrangian:
    this requires the extension of the spring, which is what I'm having trouble with. Letting r be the extension: I tried just using Pythagoras' theorem and got the following
    (l+r)^2=(x-1)^2 + (l-y)^2 and then neglecting the r^2 part due to the oscillations being small, Iihave this :
    r=(1/2l)(x^2 -2x +1 -2ly +y^2)
    then I think I need this in terms of x and not y, so I filled in the equation of the parabola for y, to get r in terms of x, and hence potential energy in terms of x.
    However this gives me a really messy equation that I'm not going to bother typing out as it's clearly wrong. I don't see where I can change this aproach to soving the problem though, any ideas?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted