Smoothing of fullwave rectifying circuits

• Thread starter bubakazouba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a capacitor in a circuit and the effect on the power dissipated by a resistor. The person initially placed the capacitor in series with the load, but later learned that it should be in parallel. They then discuss the difference in power dissipation and conclude that the capacitor in series blocks DC current.
bubakazouba

Homework Statement

http://s13.postimg.org/l780tdg1z/screenshot_33.png
it's b ii)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

well, I just drew a capacitor in series with the load, but when I looked for the answer it was written that it has to be in parallel, I just wanted to know why?how would it make any difference
thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine that the rectifier produces perfect DC output, and you had the capacitor in series with the resistor. What would be the steady state power dissipated by the resistor?

if you mean by perfect DC output that it doesn't need any smoothing(like the voltage is constant)
I think that there will be no power dissipated by the resistor,because the capacitor is fully charged.is that correct?

Yes, that it what I meant. The capacitor in series essentially blocks the DC current.

MisterX said:
Yes, that it what I meant. The capacitor in series essentially blocks the DC current.

ahh, ok. thank you very much :)

Last edited:

Related to Smoothing of fullwave rectifying circuits

1. What is the purpose of smoothing in fullwave rectifying circuits?

The purpose of smoothing in fullwave rectifying circuits is to remove the pulsating DC output and convert it into a smoother and more stable DC output.

2. How does smoothing work in fullwave rectifying circuits?

Smoothing works by using a filter, typically a capacitor, to store and release energy in order to reduce the ripple in the output voltage.

3. What is the difference between halfwave and fullwave rectifying circuits in terms of smoothing?

In halfwave rectifying circuits, only one half of the AC waveform is used, resulting in a greater amount of ripple in the output voltage. Fullwave rectifying circuits, on the other hand, use both halves of the AC waveform, resulting in a smoother output voltage.

4. What factors can affect the effectiveness of smoothing in fullwave rectifying circuits?

The effectiveness of smoothing in fullwave rectifying circuits can be affected by the capacitance of the smoothing capacitor, the load resistance, and the frequency of the AC input.

5. How can the ripple voltage in a fullwave rectifying circuit be reduced?

The ripple voltage in a fullwave rectifying circuit can be reduced by using a larger smoothing capacitor, increasing the load resistance, and using a higher frequency AC input.