So the title could be Finding Equilibrium in a Mass Spring System with Torque

In summary: L * T * sin(theta) = mg####T = 1/2 * mg / sin(theta)####k * x = 1/2 * mg / sin(theta)####x = (1/2 * mg / sin(theta)) / k####x = (1/2 * 98 / \sqrt{2}/2) / 1000####x = 98 / \sqrt{2} * 1000##In summary, The tension in a spring can be calculated by:- Finding the sinusoidal function that corresponds to the tension,- Calculating the force of gravity, and
Dren

001.png

Homework Equations

// Tension of the spring
// Where sinL between `bottom right` of the spring and the bar

Ft = sinL * kx

// Where x0 is the initial length of the spring

Ft = sinL * k(x - x0)

// Force of gravity
Fg = -mg

// Find x0
// sqr = square root

x0 = sqr(100^2 + 100^2)
// Converted to meters
x0 = 1.421

Ft + Fg = 0
sinL * k(x - x0) - mg = 0
sinL * k(x - x0) = mg
1/1.421 * 1000(x - 1.421) = 10 * 9.8
(x - 1.421) = 98 / 1/1.421 * 1000
x - 1.421 = 98 / 703.73
x = 1.5602579540448752

// Converted to centimeters and rounded
x = 156cm

But for some reason this doesn't seem to be the right answer. ;(

If someone could help me would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dren said:
x0 = 1.421

x = 1.5602579540448752

Does a spring get longer or shorter when you pull on it's ends?

billy_joule said:

I think longer, isn't it?

billy_joule said:

I meant x to be bigger than x0 after the rigid bar has been starching the spring.

Dren said:
I think longer, isn't it?
Yes.
Dren said:
I meant x to be bigger than x0 after the rigid bar has been starching the spring.

The diagram shows the spring already stretched, with length ## \sqrt2~ m ## as you've found.
If the bar were removed, the spring would contract to its relaxed length. which must be ## < \sqrt2~ m ##

billy_joule said:
Yes.The diagram shows the spring already stretched, with length ## \sqrt2~ m ## as you've found.
If the bar were removed, the spring would contract to its relaxed length. which must be ## < \sqrt2~ m ##

I see, so I guess I was trying to solve the wrong problem from the beginning, so the question is: find the resting length if the bar is removed?

I this case I have to subtract the length caused by the bar on the spring, so that we'd find the original length of the spring without the bard acting on it?

BTW: Sorry for my silly questions.

Last edited:
Dren said:
I see, so I guess I was trying to solve the wrong problem from the beginning, so the question is: find the resting length if the bar is removed?

I this case I have to subtract the length caused by the bar on the spring, so that we'd find the original length of the spring without the bard acting on it?

BTW: Sorry for my silly questions.

Updated my comment.

Dren said:

Yes,that's one way of saying it.

Dren said:
Ft + Fg = 0
This isn't right.
There are three forces acting on the bar - it's weight force, the springs force, and a reaction force where it's connected to the wall.

The simplest way to find T is take moments (torques) about the bar-wall joint, that way we don't need to consider the wall reaction.

Likes Dren
billy_joule said:
Yes,that's one way of saying it.This isn't right.
There are three forces acting on the bar - it's weight force, the springs force, and a reaction force where it's connected to the wall.

The simplest way to find T is take moments (torques) about the bar-wall joint, that way we don't need to consider the wall reaction.

Does the following sound reasonable:##m = 10kg##
##g = 9.8m/s^2##
##k = 1000N/m##

##x0 = \sqrt{2}##
##theta = 45°##

##T = k * x##

##Ft = L * T * sin(theta)##
##Fg = L/2 * m * g##

##L * T * sin(theta) = L/2 * mg##
##2L * T * sin(theta) = mg##
##T = 1/2 * mg / sin(theta)##

##k * x = 1/2 * mg / sin(theta)##
##x = (1/2 * mg / sin(theta)) / k##
##x = (1/2 * 98 / \sqrt{2}/2) / 1000##

##x = 98 / \sqrt{2} * 1000##
##x ~= 0.06929m##

// Now finally subtract from the original length
##diff = x0 - x##
##diff = \sqrt{2} - 0.06929##
##diff = 1.3449170978168133914017m##
##diff = 1.3449170978168133914017 * 100##

// Rounded
##diff = 134cm##

I think it seems to be ok.

Last edited:
Yes, looks good.
Except here you call moments forces;
Dren said:
##Ft = L * T * sin(theta)##
##Fg = L/2 * m * g##

Related to So the title could be Finding Equilibrium in a Mass Spring System with Torque

1. What is a mass spring system?

A mass spring system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring, which allows for the mass to oscillate back and forth around a fixed equilibrium point.

2. How does a mass spring system behave?

A mass spring system behaves according to Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by the spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium point. This results in simple harmonic motion, where the mass oscillates with a constant period and amplitude.

3. What is the significance of the spring constant in a mass spring system?

The spring constant, represented by the symbol k, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer spring, which means that it takes more force to displace the mass from its equilibrium point. It is an important factor in determining the behavior of a mass spring system.

4. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is equal to the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. In rotational motion, torque is responsible for changing the angular velocity of an object, and is related to the object's moment of inertia and angular acceleration.

5. How do you calculate torque?

The formula for calculating torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (N-m) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).