1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soft drink bottle using compressed air for thrust to act like a rocket.

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    Hey! This is the first time I have used this forum so I hope it all goes well and I am sorry if I break any rules on my first attempt.

I have been given a question which I believe will involve quite alot of work, so I thought I would get some suggestions as to where I need to start.

Basically, I have to use a a soft drink bottle as a rocket and determine the range ignoring drag. I have been given:

Bottle Capacity: 1.25 L
    Bottle Mass: 50 grams (0.050kg)
    Outlet Diameter: 22 mm (0.022m) (Can be reduced to improve performance)
    Compressed air
    pressure inside bottle: 654 kPa (absolute)

This is purely theory it is not a practical task.

I have then been provided with Bernoulli's Equation:

[tex]\rho[/tex]gh + 0.5[tex]\rho[/tex]V^2 = constant

Where p = density, g = 9.81m/s^2, h = height, V = velosity, P = Pressure

I know I will eventually need to incorporate projectile motion equations, Ideal Gas Law and mass flows to find the range. Is there anywhere you can suggest I start as I do not want to go down the wrong path through hours of frustrating equations if it is the wrong way. I just do not know what equation flows onto the next and where to even start.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?