Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Solar Activity and Space Weather Update thread

1. Sep 20, 2017 #41
    New spot group appeared (2681) [~yesterday?]. The old one (2680) is almost getting ready to depart.
    SDO_HMIIF_512.jpg
    Relatevely quiet ... + size 60 for both groups

Note: (to everyone) Anytime an update or alert comes to your attention before me etc. please post. It helps the event to get to our attention ASAP or at least faster. [I of course try to do my best too, but I have also several other projects].
    (Relative news, articles, links, pictures and videos are also of course welcome, etc. - see description of thread in the first post ... - almost anything scientific related to Solar Physics, which seems to be getting more and more interest ...)
    Also thanks to @davenn (Dave) for his valuable input and for correcting me when/if I am wrong ...

2. Sep 20, 2017 #42
  3. Sep 21, 2017 #43
    I received the following alert by spaceweatherlive.com this morning (06:30 UTC): (just got around to it to post it here, since no one else posted it)

"A coronal hole is facing Earth. Enhanced solar wind could arrive in ~ 3 days"

(www.spaceweatherlive.com)

4. Sep 21, 2017 #44

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yup, been watching it for a few days, it's pretty small. I am not expecting much so didn't bother to report it ...but at this time of the year, we can be surprised

I'm more interested in the much bigger one that will be geo-effective in another couple of days.

170921fe hires.gif

Dave

5. Sep 24, 2017 #45
    Is this what I think it is? (left limb)
    SDO_HMIIF_512.jpg
    AR2673 (the "devil") returning!? ...

Yes it is! :
    "Latest news
    311-thumb.jpg
    Sunday, 24 September 2017 - 14:09 UTC
    Coronal holes faces Earth, AR2673 returns"

So indeed, AR2673 survived the rotation around our star, even being active in the meantime with monster farsided eruptions, and now the "devil" of sunspot activity is back! ... Who knows what to expect ...

6. Sep 24, 2017 #46
    But (direct quote from the link above):
    "Sunspot region 2673 returns
    Bad news! Old sunspot region 2673 has returned on the Earth-facing solar disk. It decayed heavily on the far side and it is now a simple Alpha sunspot region with only one sunspot surrounded by large amounts of faculae. This sunspot region is unlikely to produce strong solar flares. It will likely receive sunspot number 2681 later today or tomorrow."

(Probably they mean 2682 ... [their typo?/ + I fixed two more typos there])

7. Oct 10, 2017 #47
    After some moderately regural Sun activity in the meantime period since the last update (see the other previously quoted threads and links for updates), today (Tue 10 Oct, 2017) there's finally a spotless day (and a new coronal hole):
    " SDO_HMIIF_512.jpg

No sunspot regions on the visible disc today

Current data suggest that it is not possible to see aurora now at middle latitudes
    Latest news
    312-thumb.jpg
    Tuesday, 10 October 2017 - 15:46 UTC
    Coronal hole faces Earth
    More news"

Note: previous spotless days: yesterday and Aug. 1, 2017;
    current stretch spotless days: 3;
    Number of spotless days in 2017: 58 .

But/and of course we are heading towards a solar minimum ... (after a last [perhaps] random breakout this Summer, with AR2673 the leader ...)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  8. Oct 11, 2017 #48
  9. Oct 14, 2017 #49
    Still no spots, today Sat. 14 Oct., 2017. A few regular geomagnetic storms these days (due to sporadic coronal holes (part of the regular sun activity) - not flares this time ...), the latest one (G1, Kp 5), a little less than an hour ago (08:59 UTC). Other than that (or before that):

Latest geomagnetic storms:
    1. more storms prior that one (also today, this morning), similar.
    2. 2017/10/13 Kp6 (G2).
    3. 2017/10/12 Kp5 (G1).

Number of spotless days in 2017: 62
    Current stretch spotless days: 7

We'll probably do the spot count next time, but it seems that with no doubt we're now heading straight towards solar minimum.

P.S. Also:
    Last day with a spot: Oct 7, 2017 (Group region 2683, on the limb)

First (locally) spotless day: Oct 8 ...

Finally, another storm (G1, Kp5), threshold reached 10:08 UTC (just a few minutes ago - while editing).
    [but there was another edit after that, just now, so for time estimates I mention that the previous one was about 50' ago]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  10. Oct 19, 2017 #50

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

a large CME was observed on the 18th Oct (UT) originating around the side of the east limb, presumably from a large solar flare
    This should be from one of the returning sunspot active regions

171018 maj cme_c3.gif

The two bright objects to the left are ... upper = Jupiter, lower = Mercury

This is quite a significant CME, but doesn't appear to be Earth directed

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted