Solar Activity and Space Weather Update thread

In summary, according to the latest space weather information, there are still two significant sunspot groups, that acquire the names "group region 2671" and ".. region 2672". Region 2672 is getting ready to leave us. Region 2673 still has some future ahead ...
"Latest news
309-thumb.jpg

Tuesday, 12 September 2017 - 19:54 UTC
Coronal mass ejection arrival"

G1 minor Geomagnetic storm warning was issued the last hour or so (Kp 5 - Threshold reached 19:49 UTC)

+ (quoting from spaceweather.com):

"THE CME HAS ARRIVED: Arriving earlier than expected, the flank of a CME hit Earth's magnetic field on Sept. 12th (20:00 UT), and the impact has sparked a minor G1-class geomagnetic storm. NOAA forecasters say the storm could intensify to G2-class on Sept. 13th. If so, auroras in the USA could appear as low as New York to Wisconsin to Washington state. This is the CME that was hurled obliquely toward us by the X8-flare of Sept. 10th."

+ Edit (report highlights added from spaceweatherlive.com):

Current data suggest that it is not possible to see aurora now at middle latitudes

G2 - Moderate geomagnetic storm expected
The observed Kp index is 5- but the predicted K-indice of 6- indicates that stronger geomagnetic conditions might occur at this moment.

The solar wind speed is currently moderately high (575.7 km/sec.)

The strength of the interplanetary magnetic field is moderate (10.27nT), the direction is North(1.8nT).

S1 Solar Radiation Storm
Minor impacts on HF radio through polar regions

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Moderate G2 Geomagnetic storm (Kp 6), Threshold reached 2:59UTC.

So finally, Tue 12 Sept (and yesterday Wed. etc.), AR2673 did leave behind a last small aurora activity for us [due to its latest close to limb X8.2 monster flare - see earlier above]. (See https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/for-those-aurora-chasers-a-heads-up.923833/page-2#post-5840153)

What a nice way to say goodbuy! May be it will return alive if it survives the approximately 2weeks rotation around our star. But for now the "devil" is gone! ...
Here is a current view of the Sun (relatively quiet - just one group 2680 [current 2 stretch spotless days]):
SDO_HMIIF_512.jpg

But currently we have active geomagnetic conditions due to the other factor: the recent coronal hole (see earlier above). [See upcoming post to the above @davenn 's aurora thread]

Here is also a review video for 2673:
https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/news/view/310/20170914-sunspot-region-2673-youtube-video

Last edited:
G2 - Moderate geomagnetic storm
Observed Kp: 6-

The solar wind speed is currently high (714.1 km/sec.)

Current data suggest that it is not possible to see aurora now at middle latitudes

The Earth is still inside a stream of solar wind flowing from this northern coronal hole:
coronalhole_sdo_200.gif

(Credit: NASA/SDO)

As a result we've been having, almost continuously since the last post/update, active geomagnetic conditions (max Kp 4-6 per case). The last one today, Sept. 18, which reached threshold 08:56 UTC, and it was a G1 (Kp5) minor geomagnetic storm.

Quiet right now (Kp 2). Only one group of spots AR2680 etc.

And news (from a source that I haven't confirmed yet): AR2673 is still active with recent significant eruptions on the farside ... and due to return around Sept 23. We're waiting! ...

New spot group appeared (2681) [~yesterday?]. The old one (2680) is almost getting ready to depart.
SDO_HMIIF_512.jpg

Relatevely quiet ... + size 60 for both groups

Note: (to everyone) Anytime an update or alert comes to your attention before me etc. please post. It helps the event to get to our attention ASAP or at least faster. [I of course try to do my best too, but I have also several other projects].
(Relative news, articles, links, pictures and videos are also of course welcome, etc. - see description of thread in the first post ... - almost anything scientific related to Solar Physics, which seems to be getting more and more interest ...)
Also thanks to @davenn (Dave) for his valuable input and for correcting me when/if I am wrong ...

Likes davenn
I received the following alert by spaceweatherlive.com this morning (06:30 UTC): (just got around to it to post it here, since no one else posted it)

"A coronal hole is facing Earth. Enhanced solar wind could arrive in ~ 3 days"

(www.spaceweatherlive.com)

Stavros Kiri said:
I received the following alert by spaceweatherlive.com this morning (06:30 UTC): (just got around to it to post it here, since no one else posted it)

yup, been watching it for a few days, it's pretty small. I am not expecting much so didn't bother to report it ...but at this time of the year, we can be surprised

I'm more interested in the much bigger one that will be geo-effective in another couple of days.

170921fe hires.gif
Dave

Likes Stavros Kiri
Is this what I think it is? (left limb)
SDO_HMIIF_512.jpg

AR2673 (the "devil") returning!? ...

Yes it is! :
"Latest news
311-thumb.jpg

Sunday, 24 September 2017 - 14:09 UTC
Coronal holes faces Earth, AR2673 returns"

So indeed, AR2673 survived the rotation around our star, even being active in the meantime with monster farsided eruptions, and now the "devil" of sunspot activity is back! ... Who knows what to expect ...

But (direct quote from the link above):
"Sunspot region 2673 returns
Bad news! Old sunspot region 2673 has returned on the Earth-facing solar disk. It decayed heavily on the far side and it is now a simple Alpha sunspot region with only one sunspot surrounded by large amounts of faculae. This sunspot region is unlikely to produce strong solar flares. It will likely receive sunspot number 2681 later today or tomorrow."

(Probably they mean 2682 ... [their typo?/ + I fixed two more typos there])

After some moderately regural Sun activity in the meantime period since the last update (see the other previously quoted threads and links for updates), today (Tue 10 Oct, 2017) there's finally a spotless day (and a new coronal hole):
"
SDO_HMIIF_512.jpg

No sunspot regions on the visible disc today

Latest news
312-thumb.jpg

Tuesday, 10 October 2017 - 15:46 UTC
Coronal hole faces Earth
More news"

Note: previous spotless days: yesterday and Aug. 1, 2017;
current stretch spotless days: 3;
Number of spotless days in 2017: 58 .

But/and of course we are heading towards a solar minimum ... (after a last [perhaps] random breakout this Summer, with AR2673 the leader ...)

Last edited:
Still no spots, today Sat. 14 Oct., 2017. A few regular geomagnetic storms these days (due to sporadic coronal holes (part of the regular sun activity) - not flares this time ...), the latest one (G1, Kp 5), a little less than an hour ago (08:59 UTC). Other than that (or before that):

Latest geomagnetic storms:
1. more storms prior that one (also today, this morning), similar.
2. 2017/10/13 Kp6 (G2).
3. 2017/10/12 Kp5 (G1).

Number of spotless days in 2017: 62
Current stretch spotless days: 7

We'll probably do the spot count next time, but it seems that with no doubt we're now heading straight towards solar minimum.

P.S. Also:
Last day with a spot: Oct 7, 2017 (Group region 2683, on the limb)

First (locally) spotless day: Oct 8 ...

Finally, another storm (G1, Kp5), threshold reached 10:08 UTC (just a few minutes ago - while editing).
[but there was another edit after that, just now, so for time estimates I mention that the previous one was about 50' ago]

Last edited:
a large CME was observed on the 18th Oct (UT) originating around the side of the east limb, presumably from a large solar flare
This should be from one of the returning sunspot active regions

171018 maj cme_c3.gif

The two bright objects to the left are ... upper = Jupiter, lower = Mercury

This is quite a significant CME, but doesn't appear to be Earth directedDave

Attachments

• 171018 maj cme_c3.gif
    171018 maj cme_c3.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 629
Likes Stavros Kiri
Spotless Sun these days. Regular and otherwise somewhat expected solar activity in this period since the last posts above. (For some details etc. e.g. cf. davenn's solar-relevant threads already quoted earlier ...). Approaching solar minimum.

I received the following interesting one on my e-mail just a couple of days ago, with title 'The Sun is Dimming as Solar Minimum Approaches':

"Space Weather News for Dec. 15, 2017
http://spaceweather.com
https://www.facebook.com/spaceweatherdotcom

THE SUN IS DIMMING: Today at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, SpaceX launched a new sensor to the International Space Station named "TSIS-1." Its mission: to measure the dimming of the sun. As the sunspot cycle plunges toward its 11-year minimum, NASA satellites are tracking a slight but significant decline in total solar irradiance (TSI). TSIS-1 will monitor this dimming with better precision than previous satellites as Solar Minimum approaches in the years ahead. Visit today's edition of Spaceweather.com to learn more about TSIS-1 and natural variations in the sun's electromagnetic output.
"

The Sun is Dimming! ... Sounds "scary" but ... explained.
Any comments?

Here is something interesting (posted today March 5, 2018 on spaceweather.com ):

"THE WORSENING COSMIC RAY SITUATION:Cosmic rays are bad–and they're getting worse. That's the conclusion of a new paperjust published in the research journal Space Weather. The authors, led by Prof. Nathan Schwadron of the University of New Hampshire, show that radiation from deep space is dangerous and intensifying faster than previously predicted.

cr_strip.jpg

The story begins four years ago when Schwadron and colleagues first sounded the alarm about cosmic rays. Analyzing data from the Cosmic Ray Telescope for the Effects of Radiation (CRaTER) instrument onboard NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), they found that cosmic rays in the Earth-Moon system were peaking at levels never before seen in the Space Age. The worsening radiation environment, they pointed out, was a potential peril to astronauts, curtailing how long they could safely travel through space.

This figure from their original 2014 papershows the number of days a 30-year old male astronaut flying in a spaceship with 10 g/cm2of aluminum shielding could go before hitting NASA-mandated radiation limits:

missionduration_strip.gif

In the 1990s, the astronaut could spend 1000 days in interplanetary space. In 2014 … only 700 days. "That's a huge change," says Schwadron.

Galactic cosmic rays come from outside the solar system. They are a mixture of high-energy photons and sub-atomic particles accelerated toward Earth by supernova explosions and other violent events in the cosmos. Our first line of defense is the sun: The sun's magnetic field and solar wind combine to create a porous 'shield' that fends off cosmic rays attempting to enter the solar system. The shielding action of the sun is strongest during Solar Maximum and weakest during Solar Minimum–hence the 11-year rhythm of the mission duration plot above.

The problem is, as the authors note in their new paper, the shield is weakening: "Over the last decade, the solar wind has exhibited low densities and magnetic field strengths, representing anomalous states that have never been observed during the Space Age. As a result of this remarkably weak solar activity, we have also observed the highest fluxes of cosmic rays."

Back in 2014, Schwadron et al used a leading model of solar activity to predict how bad cosmic rays would become during the next Solar Minimum, now expected in 2019-2020. "Our previous work suggested a ~ 20% increase of dose rates from one solar minimum to the next," says Schwadron. "In fact, we now see that actual dose rates observed by CRaTER in the last 4 years exceed the predictions by ~ 10%, showing that the radiation environment is worsening even more rapidly than we expected." In this plot bright green data points show the recent excess:

excess_crater_strip.png

The data Schwadron et al have been analyzing come from CRaTER on the LRO spacecraft in orbit around the Moon, which is point-blank exposed to any cosmic radiation the sun allows to pass. Here on Earth, we have two additional lines of defense: the magnetic field and atmosphere of our planet. Both mitigate cosmic rays.

But even on Earth the increase is being felt. Spaceweather.com and the students of Earth to Sky Calculus have been launching space weather balloons to the stratosphere almost weekly since 2015. Sensors onboard those balloons show a 13% increase in radiation (X-rays and gamma-rays) penetrating our planet's atmosphere:

balloon_data_strip.png

X-rays and gamma-rays detected by these balloons are "secondary cosmic rays," produced by the crash of primary cosmic rays into Earth's upper atmosphere. They trace radiation percolating down toward our planet's surface. The energy range of the sensors, 10 keV to 20 MeV, is similar to that of medical X-ray machines and airport security scanners.

How does this affect us? Cosmic rays penetrate commercial airlines, dosing passengers and flight crews so much that pilots are classified by the International Commission on Radiological Protection as occupational radiation workers. Some research shows that cosmic rays can seed clouds and trigger lightning, potentially altering weather and climate. Furthermore, there are studies ( #1, #2, #3, #4) linking cosmic rays with cardiac arrhythmias in the general population.

Cosmic rays will intensify even more in the years ahead as the sun plunges toward what may be the deepest Solar Minimum in more than a century. Stay tuned for updates."

Attachments

• cr_strip.jpg
    cr_strip.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 608
  • missionduration_strip.gif
    missionduration_strip.gif
    34.2 KB · Views: 635
  • excess_crater_strip.png
    excess_crater_strip.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 618
  • balloon_data_strip.png
    balloon_data_strip.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 627
Today (this morning, July 9, 2018) [, and ~yesterday July 8,] current stretch spotless days: 13.
The Sun has been relatively quiet, as solar minimum gets even closer ...

Likes davenn
Stavros Kiri said:
Today (this morning, July 9, 2018) [, and ~yesterday July 8,] current stretch spotless days: 13.
The Sun has been relatively quiet, as solar minimum gets even closer ...
now home …. the last easily viewable spots were on the 25 June. A couple of spots were almost still visible from the active region on the 26th June, but had diminished greatly. There were a few other isolated spots visible.

25th
upload_2018-7-10_18-23-20.png

26th
upload_2018-7-10_18-34-44.png
The spotted active region on the 25th is the same region as the as the right hand part of the area labelled "couple of spots"
Those other quite small spots across the disk that I have labelled are confirmed when I use other images of the sun to see active regions,
eg, magnetograms and extreme UV imagesDave

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-10_18-23-20.png
    upload_2018-7-10_18-23-20.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 531
  • upload_2018-7-10_18-34-44.png
    upload_2018-7-10_18-34-44.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 456
Likes Stavros Kiri
davenn said:
the last easily viewable spots were on the 25 June. A couple of spots were almost still visible from the active region on the 26th June, but had diminished greatly. There were a few other isolated spots visible.
Could it be a ±1day error in taking into account/(accounting for) the near limb/ complete disappearance era? I am not sure.
davenn said:
The spotted active region on the 25th is the same region as the as the right hand part of the area labelled "couple of spots"
Those other quite small spots across the disk that I have labelled are confirmed when I use other images of the sun to see active regions,
eg, magnetograms and extreme UV images
Very interesting. At some point perhaps I would like to learn more about those techniques.
The article is good too!

Thanks Dave

Likes davenn
This new active region that has rotated into view over the last couple of days remains spotless
even tho it looks quite significant in the magnetogram

Visible light

upload_2018-7-11_12-43-58.png

Magnetogram

upload_2018-7-11_12-42-6.png
Dave

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-11_12-42-6.png
    upload_2018-7-11_12-42-6.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 561
  • upload_2018-7-11_12-43-58.png
    upload_2018-7-11_12-43-58.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 539
Likes Stavros Kiri

Today March 22, 2019
SDO_HMIIF_512.jpg

Huge AR2736 ...

Attachments

• SDO_HMIIF_512.jpg
    SDO_HMIIF_512.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 410
Space Weather News for Sep. 25, 2019
https://spaceweather.com
A SUMMER WITHOUT SUNSPOTS: The sun is undergoing a remarkable period of spotlessness. During northern summer 2019, the face of the sun was blank (no sunspots) more than 89% of the time. This marks it as one of the deepest Solar Minima in a century. Interestingly, the summer of 2019 also brought a sign that Solar Minimum is coming to an end. Visit Spaceweather.com for the full story.

Likes newbiegirl and davenn
TWO SOLAR CYCLES ARE ACTIVE AT ONCE: You don't see this every day. There are two sunspots on the sun today, and each one comes from a different 11-year solar cycle. Two solar cycles are active at once. What does it mean? Check out today's edition of Spaceweather.com.

Stavros Kiri said:
TWO SOLAR CYCLES ARE ACTIVE AT ONCE: You don't see this every day. There are two sunspots on the sun today, and each one comes from a different 11-year solar cycle. Two solar cycles are active at once. What does it mean? Check out today's edition of Spaceweather.com.

man alive ! I would call bullsh$T on that one. I really wonder about the credibility of some of these dopes …. wouldn't be the first time I and others have had to call them out.

1) Neither group is new cycle as they are both equatorial latitudes.
New cycle groups will be high latitude as seen with previous active regions

2) Polarity is not a determining factor in this case BECAUSE spot groups will have opposite polarities
on either side of the equator
latest_hmi_mgram.jpg

migration of spots towards the equator as a cycle progresses

1588024150860.png

1588024331067.png

Dave

• Informative
Likes Klystron
davenn said:
man alive ! I would call bullsh$T on that one. I really wonder about the credibility of some of these dopes …. wouldn't be the first time I and others have had to call them out.

1) Neither group is new cycle as they are both equatorial latitudes.
New cycle groups will be high latitude as seen with previous active regions

2) Polarity is not a determining factor in this case BECAUSE spot groups will have opposite polarities
on either side of the equator
Hi Dave! About the polarity: but these are both on the southern hemisphere ...

Stavros Kiri said:
Hi Dave! About the polarity: but these are both on the southern hemisphere …

mite look that way, but I don't think so, the equator isn't straight across the page

I may be wrong, but I see it as a pretty poor explanation on their partmy other reason still stands ... they are both low latitude :smile:

davenn said:
mite look that way, but I don't think so, the equator isn't straight across the page

I may be wrong, but I see it as a pretty poor explanation on their partmy other reason still stands ... they are both low latitude :smile:
(Sorry for the delay in replying - [technical and practical reasons])
Dave, I see your point. I find their explanation pretty poor myself. However I don't think we can discredit it that easily witout further data. There was an article later on explaining it, but I couldn't find it at the moment.
Also it could be a 'statistical fluctuation' ...

+ see next

The new cycle has clearly started! ...

"
THE SUN IS FLARING AGAIN: Today [May 29, 2020], the sun produced its strongest solar flare in nearly 3 years. The M-class explosion came from a new-cycle sunspot hidden just behind the sun's northeastern limb. This weekend, the blast site will turn to face Earth, so future flares, if they continue, could become geoeffective. Visit Spaceweather.com for updates.
"
6db19571-fd56-4cc6-b0ec-b4b3c77c2a24.jpg

That's according to Spaceweather.com . However, NASA may have a different view, somehow. Thus Dave may be right (we'll see). Check this out:

"
"That means solar minimum is an instance only recognizable in hindsight: It could take six to 12 months after the fact to confirm when minimum has actually passed."

So, stay tuned! More observations should tell us if we're already in Solar Cycle 25."
(https://www.livescience.com/sun-unleashes-biggest-solar-flare-since-2017.html)

A new sunspot provisionally numbered AR2770 emerges over the sun's northeastern limb on Aug. 3, 2020. Its magnetic polarity marks it as a member of Solar Cycle 25:

"There's no longer any doubt. New Solar Cycle 25 is coming to life. The latest sign came today [Aug. 3, 2020] with the emergence of a new sunspot group, inset in this magnetic map of the sun's surface from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO):

latest_4096_HMIBC_strip2.jpg

In this false-color image of the sun, intense magnetic fields are denoted by yellow (-) and green (+).​

Provisionally numbered AR2770, the sunspot has two dark cores (each about the size of Mars) and is crackling with minor B-class solar flares. Its potential for even stronger flares will become clear in the days ahead as the sunspot turns toward Earth, more fully revealing its magnetic complexity.

Active regions from Solar Cycle 25 are now strewn across the sun's northern hemisphere. These are places where magnetic fields are intensifying, creating islands of magnetism on the sun's surface.

latest_4096_HMIBC_nh_strip.jpg

The -/+ magnetic polarities of these regions mark them as members of Solar Cycle 25, perHale's Law."
(https://spaceweather.us11.list-mana...4d5ca05f64a13d085d&id=d7d36df949&e=8bebdd3f2e)

However, this doesn't mean that solar minimum is over yet. Things will sort out in the following years to come.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Major sunspot groups recently verify for a fact that solar cycle 25 is of course officially here to stay etc.
A very recent one [AR2781, one of the biggest in years] appeared right on US election day (Nov. 3, 2020).

Here is the picture of the sun today (Sat. 14 Nov., 2020) :

Solar Dynamics Observatory HMI Intensitygram

Group 2781 is still visible.

Also, here is AR2781 when it appeared on election day:

5c56ee1f-0556-489b-9bd5-cf15cc0af42e-jpg.jpg

[In addition, here is/was a preliminary report (from Spaceweather.com) for that spot group:
"ELECTION DAY SUNSPOT: One of the biggest sunspots in years is emerging on the sun today. Hours ago it produced a C-class solar flare and a minor radio blackout over the Indian Ocean. This sunspot, if it holds itself together, will face Earth for the next two weeks as it rotates across the face of the sun, potentially setting the stage for a sustained stretch of solar activity. Visit Spaceweather.com for updates."]
In fact it did produce significant solar activity, and still is.

There is also a newer active region as we speak (2782), but not significally visible.

X-ray Solar Flares
6-hr max: B1 1624 UT Nov14
24-hr: B7 2359 UT Nov13
Updated: Today (Nov14) at: 2220 UT
spacer.gif
gray_gradient_line.jpg

(Sunspot region 2782, on Wed. 11 Nov., 2020, produced [on its appearence that day] a long duration C2.6 solar flare which peaked at 19:11 UTC.)
spacer.gif
Daily Sun: 14 Nov 20
hmi200.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
These decaying sunspots pose a threat for minor B-class solar flares. Credit: SDO/HMI

Last edited:
Group 2781 is still visible today (Sunday Nov. 15)
Daily Sun: 15 Nov 20
hmi200.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Departing sunspot AR2781 ... (is stable and quiet)

Here's 3 important links on the history of the latest two AR s (2781, 2782) discussed on the previous post:
2781 (Nov. 3):
https://spaceweather.com/archive.php?day=03&month=11&year=2020&view=view

2781, 2782(1st limb appearence) (Nov. 11):
https://spaceweather.com/archive.php?day=11&month=11&year=2020&view=view

2781, 2782(C-class flare, Nov11) (Nov. 12):
https://spaceweather.com/archive.php?day=12&month=11&year=2020&view=view

c2_anim_strip.gif

Last edited: