1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution Pressure of Nitrogen Gas In Diesel Fuel

1. Jul 22, 2008 #1
    I have an application where I am bubbling N2 into diesel at the bottom of a storage tank to register the head pressure.

I want to calculate at what depth (head pressure) the nitrogen gas would go into solution instead of creating a bubble at the bottom of the tank. Could you explain or possibly provide an example as to how to make that calculation even if it is only an approximation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

It will depend on the fuel saturation - for a given pressure at some point diesel oil will be saturated and no more nitrogen will get dissolved, so you will see no bubbles first, but bubbles later. I suppose these things are tabelarized in some handbooks, but I have no idea where to look. My best idea is to go to library and to ask librarian.
  4. Aug 14, 2008 #3
    Could anyone offer any more of an explanation as to how to calculate or estimate?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?