Solve Confusing Matrix Operator Equation in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem with converting an operator to matrix form and solving for eigenvectors. The operator is a Hamiltonian of the form H=c[1 1; 1 -1]. The eigenvalues are correctly solved for as +c and -c, but the eigenvectors cannot be solved using the H'=(H-lambda I) method. The conversation then moves on to a different problem involving equations with no solution. Finally, a solution is suggested to set one variable to 1 and solve for the other.
Beer-monster

Homework Statement

I'm new to matrix mechanics in quantum mechanics and I admit that linear algebra is the weakest part of my maths toolkit but I have an operator to convert to matrix form. I'm about 85% sure I've done it right, however I can't solve for the eigenvectors. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious and was wondering if someone could help me find it.

The operator is a Hamiltonian of the form.

[tex] H=c \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 \end{array} \right] [/tex]

If I solve for the eigenvalues I get [itex] \lambda = \pm c [/itex]

Which seems right. However, if I try to solves for the eigenvectors using [itex] H'=(H-\lambda I) [/itex] and [itex]H'x = 0 [/itex] for the eigenvalue +c, I get a set of equations that don't make sense to me.

[tex]H'=c \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1-1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1-1 \end{array} \right]= \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & -2 \end{array} \right] [/tex]

Using x=(x,y), and if I'm reading this right, this would give a set of equations where y=0 but also y=x. This would imply the answer is a null vector which makes no sense.

Can anyone see where I've gone wrong/what I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind , apparently I had forgotten how to take a determinant.

Thanks anyway.

Stuck again because now I need to solve this equations:

[tex] (1-\sqrt{2})x+y = 0 ; x+(-1-\sqrt{2})y = 0 [/tex]I've been pounding my head against it buit can't seem to find the way, standard Gaussian techniques seem to be leading to a mess.

Just set x or y to one, then you get the value of the other, (1, something) or (something, 1)

I understand that learning new concepts can be challenging and it's completely normal to struggle with certain topics. It's great that you have identified linear algebra as a weak point and are actively seeking help to improve your understanding.

For the specific problem you mentioned, it seems like you have correctly calculated the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian operator. However, in order to find the corresponding eigenvectors, you need to solve the equation H'x = 0 for each eigenvalue separately.

In this case, for the eigenvalue +c, you correctly calculated H' as [0 1; 1 -2] and the equations you got are x=0 and x=y. This means that the eigenvector for this eigenvalue is [0, y] where y can be any non-zero value.

I would suggest reviewing the concept of eigenvectors and how to solve for them, and also practicing more with matrix operations. It might also be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or a colleague who is more familiar with linear algebra and quantum mechanics. Keep practicing and don't get discouraged, as understanding these concepts takes time and effort. Good luck!

Related to Solve Confusing Matrix Operator Equation in Quantum Mechanics

1. What is a matrix operator equation in quantum mechanics?

A matrix operator equation in quantum mechanics is a mathematical representation of the state of a quantum system. It is used to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time, and it involves matrices that represent the operators that act on the system's state.

2. How do you solve a confusing matrix operator equation in quantum mechanics?

The first step in solving a confusing matrix operator equation in quantum mechanics is to identify the operators involved and their corresponding matrices. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as matrix algebra and eigenvalue decomposition to simplify the equation and find the solution.

3. What are some common challenges when solving matrix operator equations in quantum mechanics?

Some common challenges when solving matrix operator equations in quantum mechanics include dealing with complex numbers, performing calculations with large matrices, and understanding the physical interpretations of the mathematical results.

4. How important is it to accurately solve matrix operator equations in quantum mechanics?

Accurately solving matrix operator equations in quantum mechanics is crucial as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and verify the results through experimental observations. Small errors in the solution can lead to significant discrepancies in the predicted outcomes.

5. Are there any software tools or techniques that can help with solving matrix operator equations in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are various software tools and techniques that can assist with solving matrix operator equations in quantum mechanics. Some examples include MATLAB, Mathematica, and specialized quantum computing software such as Qiskit and QuTiP. These tools can perform complex calculations and provide visualizations to aid in understanding the results.