Solve Doppler Effect Question 15: Find the Frequency Shift

In summary, The conversation is discussing question number 15 on a physics practice exam. The initial approach was to use the given equation (f1 = 1.0005f2) to find f2, which yielded an approximate value of 1569.2. However, when the values were plugged into the equation Fdelta/ fs = v/c, there seemed to be an error as the answer was double the correct value of .392. The conversation then discusses the possibility of the medium in which the sound is traveling also being in motion, and suggests replacing the source velocity with 2 times the source velocity. The final solution involves applying the Doppler formula twice, as the flow meter works by sending a signal that reflects off the
accol
1. http://www.prep101.com/MCAT/102MCATPhysicsAnswers.pdf number 15

2. As you can see I already have the answers, I think I'm just doing something wrong.

3. I already know that the answer will be 'away' making it either a or c. So first I plugged the equation given (f1 = 1.0005f2) to get f2 and got approx 1569.2

So then I plug the values into this equation Fdelta/ fs = v/c

Just at the first part of the equation, (subtracting to get delta...I notice that I get .784, which is exactly double the correct answer. What am I missing here? There seems to be no multiplying by .5 or dividing by 2 anywhere in the question. I'm sure it's something small.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Someone correct me if i am wrong, but i suspect the issue is that the medium in which the sound is traveling is also moving. In other words, even though it is the blood that is the source, it is also the medium that the sound is moving in. The result would be that you would have to treat the problem by replacing the source velocity with 2 times the source velocity.

accol said:
Just at the first part of the equation, (subtracting to get delta...I notice that I get .784, which is exactly double the correct answer. What am I missing here? There seems to be no multiplying by .5 or dividing by 2 anywhere in the question. I'm sure it's something small.
It's a bit tricky. You have to apply the Doppler formula twice.

The flow meter works by sending a signal that reflects off the blood. The received signal is the reflected signal.

Related to Solve Doppler Effect Question 15: Find the Frequency Shift

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the wave source. It is commonly observed with sound waves, when the pitch of a passing siren appears to change as it approaches and then moves away from the listener.

2. How does the Doppler effect occur?

The Doppler effect occurs because of the relative motion between a wave source and an observer. When the source and observer are moving towards each other, the frequency of the wave appears to increase, and when they are moving away from each other, the frequency appears to decrease.

3. What are the applications of the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect has several applications in science and technology. It is used in weather forecasting to track the movement of storms and in astronomy to measure the speed and distance of celestial objects. It is also used in medical imaging to create images of moving objects such as blood flow in the body.

4. How does the Doppler effect affect different types of waves?

The Doppler effect affects all types of waves, including sound, light, and water waves. The change in frequency or wavelength depends on the relative motion between the wave source and observer, and the speed of the wave.

5. Can the Doppler effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be observed in everyday life. It is commonly experienced when a passing vehicle with a siren emits a sound that appears to change in pitch as it approaches and then moves away. It can also be observed in the change in pitch of a train whistle as it passes by.