Solve for Variables to Find Continuity

In summary, to find the value of "a" that makes the graph continuous at x=3, you can compute the limit of the given function and sketch the function around x=3 to understand its behavior. Multiplying the function by x^2 and simplifying can also help in finding the value of "a".
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

y = 1 - 9x-2 / 1 - 3x-1 if x ≠ 3
y = a if x = 3

find the value of "a" that makes the graph Continuous at x = 3

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure here, i think i must've missed this class or something, cause i just can't figure this out at all. I have two others to do too and i can't get any of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to compute

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 3} \frac{1-\frac{9}{x^2}}{1-\frac{3}{x}}[/tex]

and sketch the function around [tex]x=3[/tex] to see how it behaves.

Alright, i'll try that, is there also a way to solve it mathematically? Because i don't know what way he's looking for in the question.

What fzero suggests was "mathematical"! However:
The first thing I would do is multiply both numerator and denominator by [itex]x^2[/itex] to get
[tex]\frac{x^2- 9}{x^3- 3x}= \frac{(x- 3)(x+3)}{x(x-3)}[/tex]
which is the same as [itex]\frac{x+ 3}{x}[/itex] as long as x is not equal to 3. What is that when x= 3?

Taking the limit and interpreting it is mathematical. I suggested to sketch since it should help picture what you're doing.

1. What is the definition of continuity?

The concept of continuity is used in mathematics to describe a function that does not have any abrupt changes or breaks. In other words, it means that the function can be drawn without lifting your pen from the paper.

2. How do you solve for variables to find continuity?

In order to find continuity, you need to solve for the variables in the function. This involves substituting values for the variables and checking if the function is still continuous. If it is, then the function is continuous for those values of the variables.

3. What is the importance of finding continuity in a function?

Finding continuity in a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and how it relates to other functions. It also allows us to determine if a function is differentiable, which is necessary for many applications in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

4. What are some common techniques for solving for variables to find continuity?

Some common techniques for solving for variables to find continuity include substitution, factoring, and using the properties of limits. It is also helpful to graph the function and visually analyze its behavior to determine continuity.

5. Can a function be continuous at certain points but not others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points but not others. This is known as a point of discontinuity. The function may have a break or a hole at a certain point, but it can still be continuous on either side of that point.