Solve Ohms Law: Resistance & Resistivity, 30W 6A Bulb

In summary, resistance is a measure of a material's ability to pass charge and resistivity is a constant that helps calculate resistance. A 30W, 6A bulb's filament is directly proportional to the absolute temperature. At 37 degrees Celsius, the resistance of the filament is 0.15 ohms. Using the equations V=IR and P=IV, we can calculate the current and resistance of the filament. However, to find the working temperature we need to know the R at the working temperature and the R at 37 degrees Celsius, which we already have. It is given in the problem that the resistance is directly proportional to the absolute temperature. Therefore, we can assume that the relationship between resistance and temperature is linear and
samblue

Homework Statement

Define resistance and resistivity? A 30W, 6A bulb has a filiment which is directly prortional to the absolute temperature? At 37 degrees celcius the reisitance of the fimament is 015ohms. What is the working temperature of the filament?

Homework Equations

None given. But from my attempt I have used V=IR, P=IV.

The Attempt at a Solution

Resistance is a measure of a materials ability to pass charge. Reisistivity is a constant for each material which allows us to calculate the resitance, thus it is the ability for a material to pass current.

Ok so I worked out the current using P=IV
getting: I=6A

I then used this to work out the resistacne using V=IR
getring R=1.2ohms.

Im stuck here and don't know what to do, can someone please give me some hints or a rough idea about how to go about solving this problem? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
> A 30W, 6A bulb has a filiment which is directly prortional to the absolute temperature?

This question should be a statement and has got something missing -- probably that the resistance is directly prortional to the absolute temperature. Please verify.

sorry. its the resistivity which is directly proportional to the absolute temperature.

You know the R at the working temp T -- you've solved it. You also know R at 37 C. Any ideas?

Shooting star said:
You know the R at the working temp T -- you've solved it. You also know R at 37 C. Any ideas?

No sorry i dont. I know this is almost certainly something simple which will make me feel stupid when I see the answer but at the moment I don't have the figgiest. My best guess would be to assume that the reistance and the temperature are related linerly?

Why would that be your guess? It's GIVEN in the problem, in the sentence you had mistyped. Refer post #3.

Related to Solve Ohms Law: Resistance & Resistivity, 30W 6A Bulb

What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that relates the voltage, current, and resistance of an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage, and inversely proportional to the resistance.

How do you solve for resistance using Ohm's Law?

To solve for resistance, you can use the formula R = V/I, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the voltage in volts, and I is the current in amperes. Simply plug in the known values and solve for R.

What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electricity. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω·m). It is dependent on the material's properties, such as its composition, temperature, and structure.

How do you calculate resistivity?

To calculate resistivity, you can use the formula ρ = RA/L, where ρ is the resistivity in ohm-meters, R is the resistance in ohms, A is the cross-sectional area of the material in square meters, and L is the length of the material in meters. This formula is based on the relationship between resistance and resistivity, R = ρL/A.

How much power does a 30W 6A bulb consume?

To calculate the power consumption of a bulb, you can use the formula P = VI, where P is the power in watts, V is the voltage in volts, and I is the current in amperes. In this case, the 30W 6A bulb would consume 180 watts of power (30 watts x 6 amperes = 180 watts).