Solve speed with the help of f (x) to f ' (x)

• Thread starter mimi.janson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation is about finding the speed as a function of time for a person running, using the given function f(x) = -0.8x^4 + 3.2x^3 + 0.4x^2. The first question is to differentiate the function to find the slope, and the second question is to find the speed after 2 hours. However, there may be a mistake in the calculation as the result is a negative velocity. The final question is about finding the fastest speed during the three-hour period, which may require using a second quadratic equation.
mimi.janson
I need to solve questions about f (x) to f ' (x)

Homework Statement

hi i have the function f(x) = -0,8 x^4 + 3,2 x^3 + 0,4 x^2

The function explains the realationsship between time and place while a person is running. (can also be called distance and time). Besides i got told that the person runs for three hours

A) First i get asked to write something that shows the speed as function of time.

So i thought of differentiating it, since that will tell me a lot about the slope.

f(x) = -0,8 x^4 + 3,2 x^3 + 0,4 x^2

f ' (x)=-32 x^3 + 9,6 x^2 + 0,8 x

B) so my second question was to find out how fast the person runs after 2 hours. Since i know that x is the time and y is the distance i know that i only have to put 2 in the place of x in my function ...i am though not sure if it is in f(x) or f ' (x) but i believe it is in f ' (x) since that was the one telling about the speed.

so i solved it this way

f ' (2)=-32 *2^3 + 9,6 *2^2 + 0,8*2

f ' (2)=-256 + 38,4 + 1,6
f '(2) = -216

but there is something wrong here since the speed cannot possibly end up being a negative result ? so i would like someone to show me what i am doing wrong here.

C) last i have a question that asks me to find out where out of the three hours the person runs with the fastest speed ...i don't really understand how i can solve it.

i think i might need to use a second quadratic equation but i don't really understand it so if someone could help me with understanding please

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

First i would like to say that I am sorry i firstly posted this thread on a wrong place. So i hope i put it right this time

The function explains the realationsship between time and place while a person is running. (can also be called distance and time). Besides i got told that the person runs for three hours

A) First i get asked to write something that shows the speed as function of time.

So i thought of differentiating it, since that will tell me a lot about the slope.

B) so my second question was to find out how fast the person runs after 2 hours. Since i know that x is the time and y is the distance i know that i only have to put 2 in the place of x in my function ...i am though not sure if it is in f(x) or f ' (x) but i believe it is in f ' (x) since that was the one telling about the speed.

so i solved it this way

f '(2) = -216

but there is something wrong here since the speed cannot possibly end up being a negative result ? so i would like someone to show me what i am doing wrong here.

C) last i have a question that asks me to find out where out of the three hours the person runs with the fastest speed ...i don't really understand how i can solve it.

i think i might need to use a second quadratic equation but i don't really understand it so if someone could help me with understanding please

mimi.janson said:

The bolded is not right. It should be -3.2.

mimi.janson said:
but there is something wrong here since the speed cannot possibly end up being a negative result ?
While the answer for f'(2) will be positive, it's possible for the velocity to be negative (speed is the magnitude of velocity). In the case of a person running, he/she would be running backwards.

Last edited:

mimi.janson said:

Homework Statement

so i solved it this way

f '(2) = -216

You are confusing *speed* and *velocity*. Speed is the magnitude (absolute value) of velocity, so is always >= 0; however, velocity can be < 0. For example, if I measure positive distances as being to the East of the origin and negative distances to the West, then a positive velocity means traveling towards the East while a negative velocity means traveling towards the West. However, the speedometer in my car will always give a reading >= 0: it measures speed. In your case, if x = time and f(x) = position, then f'(x) = _velocity_, not speed.

You wrote f ' (x)=-32 x^3 + 9,6 x^2 + 0,8 x, which is not correct; it should be f '(x)= -3,2 x^3 + 9,6 x^2 + 0,8 x. Note that f '(2) > 0, but for larger x the velocity would be < 0; for example, look at x = 4.

RGV

Don't think of the derivative as "the slope". The derivative of a function f(x) is another function that represents the rate of change of f(x) at any point x. The rate of change is the slope of the tangent line to that graph of f(x) at point x.

Anyway, for part B: Do you know the relationship between the position (x) function and the velocity (v) function? Since your position function seems to be in terms of t, you can find the velocity at time t using the derivative assuming your units check out.

edit: speed cannot be negative, but velocity can, as long as your math is correct, and you represented v(t) as x'(t), you're good. edit 2: and your math is not correct, check that first :)

C: What happens to the position function when its derivative equals 0? What happens to the velocity function when the acceleration function equals 0?

Last edited:
mimi.janson said:

Right idea, but check this step

Reported.

1. What is "f(x)" and "f'(x)" in this context?

In this context, "f(x)" represents a function that relates a variable x to a corresponding output value. "f'(x)" represents the derivative of that function, which is a measure of how quickly the output value changes as the input variable changes.

2. How can "f'(x)" help me solve for speed?

The derivative "f'(x)" can help you solve for speed by providing the rate of change of the function "f(x)" at a specific point. In other words, it tells you how much the output value of the function changes for a given change in the input variable. In the context of speed, the input variable would represent time and the output value would represent distance, allowing you to calculate the speed of an object at a specific time.

3. Can "f(x)" and "f'(x)" be used for any type of motion?

Yes, "f(x)" and "f'(x)" can be used to describe the motion of any object, as long as the function accurately represents the relationship between the input variable and the output value. This could include linear motion, circular motion, or any other type of motion.

4. How do you calculate "f'(x)"?

The derivative "f'(x)" can be calculated using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of the function as the change in the input variable approaches zero. The specific method for calculating the derivative will depend on the form of the function "f(x)".

5. Are there any limitations to using "f'(x)" to solve for speed?

Yes, there are some limitations to using "f'(x)" to solve for speed. One limitation is that the function "f(x)" must accurately represent the motion of the object. Additionally, the derivative may not exist if the function has sharp corners or discontinuities. It is also important to consider any external factors that may affect the motion of the object, such as friction or air resistance.