How can I solve double integrals with tricky limits and substitutions?

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with solving integrals, particularly those with changing limits. The first integral involves interchanging the limits to make the x integral easier, while the second integral may have a typo and requires a graph to find the correct limits.
ApeXaviour
I was fine with these in class, tutorials etc. It's only since I found this in a past paper that I've had a problem with them.
[tex]\[ \int_0^1\! \int_{\sqrt{y}}^1 9\sqrt{1-x^3}\,dxdy.\]
[/tex]

Nomatter what I substitute in under the sqrt sign I just can't get out the integral for x :(
I tried changing the limits so they run from x^2 to 1 for y and 0 to 1 for x..

I'm having similar trouble with this one...
4.GIF

The Sin(y^3) here is what's getting me. Also tried changing the limits and substitution. No luck.. just ends up a big unsolvable mess for me

Thanks
Declan

Attachments

• 4.GIF
    4.GIF
    2.6 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, if you interchange the limits, y will run from 0 to x^2, which will let you do the x integral by substitution. The second integral doesn't make sense as wriiten, but the same approach as for the first one will work if you meant for the inner integral to run from x/2 to 1.

Hmm.. you're right. I didnt even notice that about the second one. Re-checked the past exam papers and that's exactly how it's written though. Must be a missprint.

I obviously don't have the hang of changing these limits, thanks for your help I'll try wrap my head around that now..

If you're having trouble finding new limits, a sketch of the graph will certainly help!

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a two-dimensional surface. It is represented by two nested integrals and is often used in solving problems involving volume, mass, and moment of inertia.

What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface in two dimensions. A single integral uses one variable, while a double integral uses two variables.

How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you must first identify the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you need to set up the integral by multiplying the two integrals together, with the inner integral being integrated first. Finally, you solve the inner integral, then the outer integral, to arrive at the final solution.

What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have a wide range of applications in mathematics and physics. They can be used to calculate areas, volumes, mass, and moments of inertia. They are also used in solving problems related to probability, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics.

What are some common methods used to solve double integrals?

There are several methods that can be used to solve double integrals, including the rectangular method, polar method, and change of variables method. The method used depends on the type of integral and the given limits of integration.