1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a Double integral

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1
    I was fine with these in class, tutorials etc. It's only since I found this in a past paper that I've had a problem with them.
    [tex]\[ \int_0^1\! \int_{\sqrt{y}}^1 9\sqrt{1-x^3}\,dxdy.\]
    [/tex]

Nomatter what I substitute in under the sqrt sign I just cant get out the integral for x :(
    I tried changing the limits so they run from x^2 to 1 for y and 0 to 1 for x..

I'm having similar trouble with this one...
    [​IMG]

The Sin(y^3) here is what's getting me. Also tried changing the limits and substitution. No luck.. just ends up a big unsolvable mess for me

Thanks
    Declan

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

For the first one, if you interchange the limits, y will run from 0 to x^2, which will let you do the x integral by substitution. The second integral doesn't make sense as wriiten, but the same approach as for the first one will work if you meant for the inner integral to run from x/2 to 1.

4. Jan 6, 2006 #3
    Hmm.. you're right. I didnt even notice that about the second one. Re-checked the past exam papers and that's exactly how it's written though. Must be a missprint.

I obviously dont have the hang of changing these limits, thanks for your help I'll try wrap my head around that now..

5. Jan 7, 2006 #4

TD

Homework Helper

If you're having trouble finding new limits, a sketch of the graph will certainly help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?