Understanding thevenin's circuit in linear circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the power of a certain element is zero, resulting in a zero current through that element. The conversation also mentions using Thevenin's circuit equivalent to find the potential difference and current in the circuit. The tricky part is realizing that the branch with the zero power element can be replaced with a wire without changing the rest of the circuit, and this is why the branch with E5 can be short circuited.
diredragon

Homework Statement

This is one of the problem i had had some help in solving but some things remain unclear to me and i will highlight them by posting the exact question in the brackets next to the line of solution so that you can see what bothers me. Hopefully you can help me better understand this. Thanks :)
IMG_2327.JPG

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
##P_{R4}=0## the power of the element is zero so the current through that element must be zero. Basically that branch is cut of. Conclusion : ##I_4=0##
Now the part i can't seem to grasp the idea of:
IMG_2329.JPG

##RT=\frac{R2R1}{R2+R1}## [I understand thevenin's circuit equvalent but how is it used here?]
##ET=\frac{R2E1}{R1+R2}## [If the branch with R4 doesn't exit how can we find the thevenin's if R2 isn't next to E1?]
##I3=\frac{-ET}{RT+R3}## [And why isn't E5 and R5 included, when we look for ET where do we cut the circuit here? I thought since I3 is left we cut on that branch and leave open circuit but then E5 must be included? Could you explain?]
Here is the rest of the solution:
##U_{ab}=I3R3=-I2R2+I4R4##
##I2=\frac{-U_{ab}}{R2}##
##U_{ab}=-I_2(R2+R5)+E_5##
and to get E5 is easy from here.
The only problem with this problem is in the brackets above. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The tricky bit is to realize that since ##I4 = 0## there is no potential drop across ##R4##. That means that the right end of ##R2## must have the same potential as node A. So the effect of ##E5## and ##R5## must be to maintain this zero potential difference (reminiscent of the way an op-amp with feedback maintains a zero potential difference between its inputs).

gneill said:
The tricky bit is to realize that since ##I4 = 0## there is no potential drop across ##R4##. That means that the right end of ##R2## must have the same potential as node A. So the effect of ##E5## and ##R5## must be to maintain this zero potential difference (reminiscent of the way an op-amp with feedback maintains a zero potential difference between its inputs).
I get that I4 is zero but can't understand why when they decided to turn everything into thevenin to calculate the I3, didn't take into consideration the part of the circuit with R5, and just took R2.
Its like they erased the branch with R4 and short circuited the E5 branch. Could they have done that? Why could the branch with E5 be short circuited? I don't understand that.
What comes to mind is that since there is no potential drop in the R4 branch then there is none across E5 as well. But still lacks fundamental understanding. One path leads us to conclude that there is no potential drop so all the others must as well and that branch during the thevenin transformation is only a wire, short circuited?

diredragon said:
I get that I4 is zero but can't understand why when they decided to turn everything into thevenin to calculate the I3, didnt take into consideration the part of the circuit with R5, and just took R2.
Its like they erased the branch with R4 and short circuited the E5 branch. Could they have done that? Why could the branch with E5 be short circuited? I don't understand that.
Since I4 is zero the potential difference across R4 is zero. That means you can replace R4 with a wire (short circuit) without changing how the rest of the circuit operates. So as you say, they erased R4 and short circuited the E5 branch!

Likes diredragon

1. What is a linear circuit?

A linear circuit is an electronic circuit in which the output is directly proportional to the input, following the basic principles of Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws. This means that the circuit can be solved using simple algebraic equations.

2. How do I solve a linear circuit?

To solve a linear circuit, you will need to apply the laws of Ohm and Kirchhoff, which involve using the equations V=IR and ΣI = 0 respectively. First, identify all the components in the circuit and their values. Then, use these values to write out the necessary equations and solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are the common methods for solving a linear circuit?

The most common methods for solving a linear circuit include the branch current method, the node voltage method, and the mesh current method. These methods involve using the laws of Ohm and Kirchhoff to create a system of equations and then solving them using algebraic techniques.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a linear circuit?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a linear circuit. However, it is important to note that a calculator can only perform the calculations, and it is up to you to correctly set up the equations and plug in the correct values. It is also recommended to double-check your calculations by hand to ensure accuracy.

5. What are some tips for solving a linear circuit efficiently?

Some tips for solving a linear circuit efficiently include: identifying the type of circuit (series, parallel, or a combination), simplifying the circuit using equivalent resistances, starting with the most basic equations and working your way up, and double-checking your calculations. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with the laws and techniques used in solving linear circuits.