Solving an integral using an special substitution

In summary, we discussed different approaches to solving the indefinite integral of \frac{1}{\sin x}, resulting in the solution I=\log |\cot x+cosec x|.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Well, the exercise asks me to solve the next integral using an adequate substitution.
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was:

[tex]x=2\sin\theta[/tex]

[tex]dx=2\cos\theta d\theta[/tex]

So, then I get
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}dx=4\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\cos^2\theta d\theta=cos\theta\sin\theta+\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\sin^2\theta d\theta=cos\theta\sin\theta+\displaystyle\int_{}^{}(1-\cos^2\theta) d\theta=[/tex]
[tex]=cos\theta\sin\theta+\displaystyle\int_{}^{}d\theta-\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\cos^2\theta[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow{5\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\cos^2\theta d\theta=cos\theta\sin\theta+\theta}\Rightarrow{\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\cos^2\theta d\theta=\displaystyle\frac{1}{5}cos\theta\sin\theta+\displaystyle\frac{\theta}{5}}[/tex]

[tex]\theta=\arcsin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})[/tex]
[tex]\sin\theta=(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})[/tex]

[tex]\cos\theta=\sqrt[ ]{1-\sin^2\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\cos\theta=\sqrt[ ]{1-\displaystyle\frac{x^2}{4}}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}=\displaystyle\frac{x}{10}\sqrt[ ]{1-\displaystyle\frac{x^2}{4}}+\displaystyle\frac{\arcsin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})}{5}[/tex]

I think I've made a mistake, but I don't know in which step. Perhaps when I've get back to the original variables, or when I've solved by parts the integral of the square of the cosine.

Bye there, and thanks for posting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:

Homework Statement

Well, the exercise asks me to solve the next integral using an adequate substitution.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was:

[tex]x=2\sin\theta[/tex]

[tex]dx=2\cos\theta d\theta[/tex]

So, then I get
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}dx=4\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\cos^2\theta d\theta[/tex]

[

Right there, try using the identity

[tex]\cos^2\theta = \frac{1+\cos(2\theta)}{2}[/tex]

Thank you LCKurtz.

Can somebody tell me if this is right?

I must solve:
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{dx}{\sqrt[ ]{9+x^2}}[/tex]

And I used the substitutions:
[tex]x=3sinht[/tex]
[tex]dx=3coshtdt[/tex]

And the identity:

[tex]cosh^2t-sinh^2t=1\Rightarrow{\cosht=\sqrt[ ]{1+sinh^2t}}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{dx}{\sqrt[ ]{9+x^2}}=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{3coshtdt}{\sqrt[ ]{3^2+(3sinht)^2}}=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{3coshtdt}{\sqrt[ ]{3^2(1+sinh^2t)}}=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{coshtdt}{cosht}=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}dt=t+C=argsh(\displaystyle\frac{x}{3})+C[/tex]

Last edited:
I don't see anything obviously wrong, but I would have used a different substitution, tan(theta) = x/3.

Thanks Mark.

What about this one? I don't know how to proceed now:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{dt}{\sin(t)}[/tex]

I've solved this using the table, with definition of cosecant: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{dt}{\sin(t)}=\ln|csc(t)-cot(t)|+C[/tex]

This was the result of solving: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{dx}{x\sqrt[ ]{1-x^2}}=\ln|csc(arcsin(x))-cot(arcsin(x))|+C[/tex]

But now...
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{dx}{x^2\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}[/tex]

[tex]x=2\sin(t)[/tex]
[tex]dx=2\cos(t)dt[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{dx}{x^2\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{2\cos(t)dt}{4\sin^2(t)\sqrt[ ]{2^2-(2\sin(t)^2}}=\displaystyle\frac{1}{4}\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{dt}{\sin^2(t)}}=\displaystyle\frac{1}{4}\displaystyle\int_{}^{}csc^2(t)dt[/tex]

I thought of solving by parts, but...

[tex]u=csc(t)[/tex]
[tex]du=-csc(t)cot(t)dt[/tex]

[tex]dv=csc(t)dt[/tex]
[tex]v=\ln|csc(t)-cot(t)|[/tex]

Telemachus said:
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{dx}{x^2\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}=\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{2\cos(t)dt}{4\sin^2(t)\sqrt[ ]{2^2-(2\sin(t)^2}}=\displaystyle\frac{1}{4}\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\displaystyle\frac{dt}{\sin^2(t)}}=\displaystyle\frac{1}{4}\displaystyle\int_{}^{}csc^2(t)dt[/tex]

I thought of solving by parts, but...

Hint: What is the derivative of cot(t)?

Also Forum procedures suggest that you post new questions in a new thread.

Thanks LCKurtz. Srry for posting here again, is just that is the same kind of problem, I didn't wanted to flood with topics of mine.

I've arrived to this solution:
[tex]\displaystyle\frac{1}{4}\displaystyle\int_{}^{}csc^2(t )dt=-\displaystyle\frac{1}{4}cot(arcsin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}))[/tex]

LCKurtz said:
Right there, try using the identity

[tex]\cos^2\theta = \frac{1+\cos(2\theta)}{2}[/tex]

For the record, the method the opening poster used (integration by parts) is perfectly valid, and IMHO fairly clever. His problem there is that he forgot the 4 outside of the inetgral.

Thanks, I've solved it both ways :)

Using that substitution drives faster to the solution.

Another way (and I believe that this is the classical way of looking at it)
[tex]
I=\int\frac{dx}{\sin x}=\int\frac{\sin xdx}{\sin^{2}x}=\int\frac{\sin xdx}{1-\cos^{2}x}
[/tex]
Then split using partial fractions to obtain:
[tex]
I=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{\sin x}{1-\cos x}dx+\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{\sin x}{1+\cos x}dx
[/tex]
The integral may be easily computed to arrive at:
[tex]
I=-\frac{1}{2}\log (1-\cos x)+\frac{1}{2}\log (1+\cos x)
[/tex]
Now with a bit of algebra which includes a bit of trig identities, we arrive at the answer:
[tex]
I=\log |\cot x+cosec x|
[/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you hunt_mat. I always enjoy seeing the many perspectives that surges from facing a problem in this forum.

In case anyone has lost track, the work below refers to the integral in post #6, not the one in the OP.
hunt_mat said:
Another way (and I believe that this is the classical way of looking at it)
[tex]
I=\int\frac{dx}{\sin x}=\int\frac{\sin xdx}{\sin^{2}x}=\int\frac{\sin xdx}{1-\cos^{2}x}
[/tex]
Then split using partial fractions to obtain:
[tex]
I=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{\sin x}{1-\cos x}dx+\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{\sin x}{1+\cos x}dx
[/tex]
The integral may be easily computed to arrive at:
[tex]
I=-\frac{1}{2}\log (1-\cos x)+\frac{1}{2}\log (1+\cos x)
[/tex]
Now with a bit of algebra which includes a bit of trig identities, we arrive at the answer:
[tex]
I=\log |\cot x+cosec x|
[/tex]

A different approach is the following:
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{\sin x} = \int csc~x~dx = \int csc~x\frac{csc~x + cot~x}{csc~x + cot~x}dx[/tex]
[tex]= \int \frac{csc^2~x + csc~x cot~x}{csc~x + cot~x}dx[/tex]

Now you can use an ordinary substitution, u = csc(x) + cot(x), du = -csc2(x) - csc(x)cot(x)dx, to get -ln|csc(x) + cot(x)| + C.

Mine was easier. :eek:)

I don't think so. Mine involved multiplying by 1 and an ordinary substitution. Yours requires partial fraction decomposition.

It's even easier to just substitute -ln|csc(x)+cot(x)|+C for the integral. :tongue:

The multiplication by 1 bit was inspired, I wouldn't have thought about doing that. All the inspired bit that I did was again multiply by 1 but this time it was much more intuitive. Partial fraction are something everyone should know, it's a simple technique that is easily applied.

What is a special substitution?

A special substitution is a technique used in integral calculus to simplify the process of solving an integral. It involves substituting a variable or expression in the integral with a new variable or expression in order to make the integral easier to evaluate.

When should I use a special substitution to solve an integral?

A special substitution should be used when the integral is in a complex form that makes it difficult to evaluate using other integration techniques. It can also be used to simplify an integral that contains trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions.

What are some common types of special substitutions?

The most commonly used special substitutions are trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic substitutions. Other types include hyperbolic, polynomial, and rational substitutions.

How do I know which special substitution to use?

The choice of special substitution depends on the form of the integral and the functions involved. To determine the appropriate substitution, it is important to identify the type of functions in the integral and choose the substitution that will eliminate or simplify these functions.

What are the steps for solving an integral using a special substitution?

The steps for solving an integral using a special substitution are as follows:1. Identify the type of substitution needed based on the form of the integral.2. Make the substitution by replacing the variable or expression in the integral with the new variable or expression.3. Simplify the integral using trigonometric identities, algebraic manipulations, or other techniques.4. Evaluate the integral in terms of the new variable.5. Substitute the original variable back into the integral to obtain the final solution.