Solving Bernoulli Equation - Can't Get Correct Answer

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the correct answer to a differential equation. The expert summarizer noted that the mistake was in dropping v' and also mentioned the importance of including the constant of integration. They then gave the correct solution for y in terms of t.
amcavoy
I cannot get the correct answer to this for some reason:

[tex]t^2y'+2ty-y^3=0[/tex]

I use the substitution [itex]v=y^{1-n}=y^{-2}\implies y=v^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] and come up with [itex]y'=-\frac{1}{2}v^{-\frac{3}{2}}[/itex] and [itex]y^3=v^{-\frac{3}{2}}[/itex].

[tex]-\frac{1}{2}t^2v^{-\frac{3}{2}}+2tv^{-\frac{1}{2}}-v^{-\frac{3}{2}}=0[/tex]

Then multiplying through by [itex]v^{-2}[/itex] gives:

[tex]-\frac{1}{2}t^2v^{3}+2t-v^{3}=0=2t-\left(\frac{1}{2}t^2+1\right)v^3[/tex]

For which I would say:

[tex]v=\left(\frac{2t}{\frac{1}{2}t^2+1}\right)^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

But according to the back of my book, that answer is incorrect. What did I do wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex] y= v^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] then [itex]y'= -\frac{1}{2}v^{-\frac{3}{2}}v'[/itex].

You seem to have dropped v' throughout. Your differential equation became an algebraic equation!

And what happen to the constant of integration?

So you got:

[tex]t^2y^{'}+2ty-y^3=0[/tex]

Divide by [itex]t^2[/itex] and then divide by [itex]y^3[/itex], leads to:

[tex]y^{-3}dy+\frac{2}{t}y^{-2}t=\frac{1}{t^2}dt[/tex]

Noting that:

[tex]d(y^{-2})=-2y^{-3}dy[/tex]

and that's what you have up there on the left, we make the substitution:

[tex]v=y^{-2}[/tex]

and:

[tex]dv=-2y^{-3}dy[/tex]

Plug that in up there, rearrange to a first-order ODE in terms of v and t, find the integrating factor, integrate and not forgetting about the constant of integration, solve for v(t), then converting back to y, you should get:

[tex]y(t)=\pm \sqrt{\frac{5t}{2+5ct^5}}[/tex]

Now what?

Ahhh, I can't believe I forgot the v'! Thanks for your help.

Related to Solving Bernoulli Equation - Can't Get Correct Answer

What is the Bernoulli Equation?

The Bernoulli Equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in a closed system. It is named after Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli.

What is the purpose of solving the Bernoulli Equation?

The purpose of solving the Bernoulli Equation is to determine the flow characteristics of a fluid in a given system. This can be useful in a variety of engineering applications, such as designing pipelines or determining the performance of pumps and turbines.

Why might someone have difficulty getting the correct answer when solving the Bernoulli Equation?

There are a few common reasons why someone might have difficulty getting the correct answer when solving the Bernoulli Equation. These include incorrect assumptions about the system, errors in mathematical calculations, and neglecting certain factors such as friction or compressibility.

What are some tips for solving the Bernoulli Equation accurately?

To solve the Bernoulli Equation accurately, it is important to clearly define the system and make realistic assumptions about its behavior. It is also helpful to double check all mathematical calculations and consider all relevant factors, such as energy losses due to friction.

Are there any software programs or tools that can assist with solving the Bernoulli Equation?

Yes, there are several software programs and online calculators available that can assist with solving the Bernoulli Equation. These tools can help with complex calculations and can also provide visual representations of the fluid flow in the system.