Solving Circuit Problems: R, E, and Current

In summary, the current in resistor R is 2 Amperes, the resistance R is 26 ohms, and the unknown emf E is 42 volts. If the circuit is broken at point x, the current in the 28v battery will be 2A.
daimlerpogi

Homework Statement

In the circuit shown in the figure, find (a) the current in resistor R; (b) the resistance R; (c) the unknown emf E. (d) If the circuit is broken at point x, what is the current in the 28v battery?

Homework Equations

KVL and KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if these are correct :S
KVL:
3(6) + 6(4) - E = 0
E = 42v
So my E will be 42 volts?

And in question (a) since 6A will pass in node a and the current in I2 is 4A, then logically, the remaining 2A will flow through R. So the current in R will be 2 Amperes.

So now I can solve for the Resistance in R (question B)
4(6) - 48 - 28 + 2(R) = 0

24 - 48 - 28 = -2(R)

R = 26 ohms

Are my solutions correct? In question D, the current will be 2A if the circuit is broken at point x. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Problem.JPG
    Problem.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
daimlerpogi said:
3(6) + 6(4) - E = 0
E = 42v
So my E will be 42 volts?

And in question (a) since 6A will pass in node a and the current in I2 is 4A, then logically, the remaining 2A will flow through R. So the current in R will be 2 Amperes.
Correct so far.

So now I can solve for the Resistance in R (question B)
4(6) - 48 - 28 + 2(R) = 0

24 - 48 - 28 = -2(R)

R = 26 ohms
Where did -48 come from? Also check your sign convention for the 28V voltage source. If you're going in a clockwise loop, and you enter the 28V voltage source through the +ve terminal, then you add, not subtract the potential drop.

Are my solutions correct? In question D, the current will be 2A if the circuit is broken at point x. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks in advance!
Why would it be 2A? Remember that once x is cut, E doesn't factor into the calculations at all. You would then have a single loop consisting of currents through top and bottom wires.

Okay I already get it now. Thanks Defennder! :approve:

What is the formula for calculating resistance (R) in a circuit?

The formula for calculating resistance is R = V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes.

How do you calculate total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. This can be represented as Rt = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit.

What is the relationship between voltage (E), current (I), and resistance (R) in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit is E = I x R. This means that as voltage increases, current and resistance also increase proportionally.

How do you calculate the voltage drop across a resistor in a parallel circuit?

The voltage drop across a resistor in a parallel circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, where V = I x R. In this case, I is the total current in the circuit and R is the resistance of the specific resistor.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after another, creating a single pathway for the current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, providing multiple pathways for the current to flow. This results in different calculations for total resistance and voltage across each component.