Solving for the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction: An In-Depth Explanation

In summary, the question is about finding the kinetic friction without its coefficient. The solution involves using conservation of energy to determine the work done on the suitcase and then solving for the frictional force and coefficient of kinetic friction.
Vinegar

Homework Statement

e62l2f.jpg

Homework Equations

PE=mgh, KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

In picture.

What's confusing me is how to find the kinetic friction without its coefficient. I've attempted multiple solutions on paper, and I can't get anywhere with it. I know that at the bottom of the ramp, the KE is equivalent to the PEi of the ramp, and I know the distance it stops at.

I just need an in-depth explanation of the steps taken to solve for the coefficient. If I can find this, I'm set. I'm great at physics, but I am having trouble grasping this concept. Help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Vinegar said:
What's confusing me is how to find the kinetic friction without its coefficient. I've attempted multiple solutions on paper, and I can't get anywhere with it. I know that at the bottom of the ramp, the KE is equivalent to the PEi of the ramp, and I know the distance it stops at.

I just need an in-depth explanation of the steps taken to solve for the coefficient. If I can find this, I'm set. I'm great at physics, but I am having trouble grasping this concept. Help is appreciated!

Since you know the suitcase's kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp (from conservation of energy), you know how much work has to be done in order to bring it to a stop. You also know over what distance this work was done. Therefore, you can solve for the frictional force that must have done said work on the suitcase. Once you know the frictional force, you can easily solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction, since you know everything else (aside from the coefficient itself) that that frictional force depends on.

Related to Solving for the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction: An In-Depth Explanation

What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two objects in contact. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces in contact and the interlocking of microscopic bumps and ridges.

How does friction affect kinetic energy?

Friction converts some of the kinetic energy of a moving object into thermal energy, causing the object to slow down. This is because the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

What factors affect the amount of friction between two objects?

The amount of friction depends on the types of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the speed at which the surfaces are moving relative to each other.

How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact, or by using smoother surfaces. Additionally, reducing the force pressing the surfaces together or decreasing the speed of the objects can also reduce friction.

What is the relationship between friction and energy efficiency?

Friction reduces the efficiency of energy transfer between objects. This is because some of the energy is lost as heat due to friction, reducing the overall amount of energy available for useful work.